My setup and speaker recommendations for my mids/highs

Participant count
  • Participant list
NJ
My car is a Subaru BRZ, it has speakers on front dash (3.5"), speakers in front doors (6.5"), and speakers in the rear (3.5"). I just purchased a Soundstream RUB4.500 4 channel amp to power these, it's rated at 75x4 @ 4ohm, or 125x4 @ 2ohm. I prefer to run at 2 ohm to get the best bang for my buck, but if you think I will get plenty out of 75 watts then that is fine with me.

What I am having a hard time with is finding 3.5" speakers that can handle 125 watts RMS. It seems much easier to find 4 ohm speakers at 75 watts.

I am also on the fence with which speakers to run off of this amp. I currently am not using the door speakers at all since I have a 12" sub in the trunk for bass. I disconnected the door speakers and use only the dash and rears for my highs. Do you think I should run doors and dash on amp, and maybe rears off of the radio itself? No rears at all?

Any help and\or speaker recommendations you can make will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I can find 2 ohm.. What I need is 2 ohm that can handle 125 RMS, or 4 ohm that can handle 75 RMS. At 3.5" its hard to come by.

Just turn your gain down...your speakers don't need to necessarily handle every watt the amplifier can put out.

It's better to have some headroom for voltage drops, wiring resistance, etc. I wouldn't ever recommend running an amplifier at full gain anyway.

correct, rms wattage is dictated by what the amp is physically able to do and the ohm load that is being presented to the amp. Gain is basically how hard the amp is listening to source signal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.