My Pre Out Voltage Predicament. What’s your $0.02?

-DOZER-

long story short, I totaled my favorite car (with a KDCX993) and I’ve never had a head-unit with lower than 4volts pre-out. Now I have a 4runner with a AVIC-U310BT installed. It’s a bare bones solution to gps/ipod/navigation and I really don’t have the cash for a similar high-end (+4volt) replacement unit.

So I’m looking into a Line Driver as a cheaper solution. It seems the Rocksford Fosgate RF-BLD may be the answer. Here’s what I’d like to know.

• Will I loose sound quality compared to a head-unit that has high volt pre-outs?
  • Is there a better line driver out there for my situation?
  • The U310BT only has 2 sets of RCA pre-outs Im using a Y-splitter into my 4chnl mids & highs amp. Do I buy one 2chnl Fosgate RF-BLD and split after the driver into the amp?

Any over-all advice would be appreciated!

All the research I've ever read says a high volt pre-out will allow higher volume with less distortion. Its also been my experience when listening to different head units.

All the research I've ever read says a high volt pre-out will allow higher volume with less distortion. Its also been my experience when listening to different head units.
If you say so, but honestly theres no difference in low preamp voltage vs high preamp voltage if the gain is set correctly.

I think there is notable quality difference. A decent deck with a good dc/dc converter and 24bit dac will outperform 99% of the ones with crappier dacs and lower preouts. they usually go hand in hand. amping a smaller signal results in more distortion. a line driver will help but i would just suggest a better deck or an audio control eq. dont compromise sq for bells and whistles

Also bryan can attest that having the higher volts does help just in going from 4 to 6.5

I think there is notable quality difference. A decent deck with a good dc/dc converter and 24bit dac will outperform 99% of the ones with crappier dacs and lower preouts. they usually go hand in hand. amping a smaller signal results in more distortion. a line driver will help but i would just suggest a better deck or an audio control eq. dont compromise sq for bells and whistles

Also bryan can attest that having the higher volts does help just in going from 4 to 6.5
I would agree. I went from a 2v Pioneer DEH5800MP to my 5v CD7000 and it is steps above in SQ. Amp gains set properly with both HU's.

With a crappy amp it matters. With a good one it does not. If the preamp section of the amp is up to snuff the preamp voltage doesn't matter one little bit.

What the people who claim to notice a difference are actually noting is a superior head unit, not higher output voltage. The higher output voltage is one more "feature" that the company includes to justify charging $200 more for a unit that costs them $5 more to make.

Several of the most sought after SQ oriented HUs ever had 2v preouts.

the 6.5 that my p860 puts out does make a huge difference, and since i put it in my 4 chan that runs my highs actually stays cooler than it did with my alpine, kinda odd but just something i noticed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.