Bad RCA's or something else?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bodine76

I am having a strange problem and no one seems to have an answer for me, even the installers, who I think are sick of me. Started out that either the right or left front channel would start to cut out intermittently when I would go down a bumpy road, or make sharp turns. Would only happen to one channel at a time. Eventually, the right front channel went out completely (see below). Now, what happens is when I start out in my truck with the volume low (under 12, out of 35), one of the front channels, either one, intermittently, is not coming through. Once I turn it up, it cuts on, and plays fine. I can turn it down to "0" and have the full range of volume. If I am driving to work, just listening to talk radio or something, and am keeping it low, one of the channels may cut out. This is an intermittent problem and comes and goes completely at random.

I have been back to the installer, who is supposed to be one of the best in the city, too many times to count. Of course, when I go, they can't reproduce the problem. They did switch the crossovers between the doors (?). Last time I went a few months ago, they suggested that my tweeters may be going bad and I should replace them.

I have torn the system down completely and cannot reproduce the problem by hand. But, I should note that the installer did tie the system into the factory audio system wiring, for some reason. I personally think it is the RCA cable for the front channel, or possibly inside the HU where the front channel RCA comes in, but, to be honest, I have no idea what I am doing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my setup:

-2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner

-Alpine CDA-9886 HU

-Alpine SPX-17REF (6 3/4" Comps. Front)

-Kicker KS65 (6 1/2" coax. Rear Fill)

-Kicker TCVT122 (Single 12" Sealed Truck Box)

-Memphis 16-MC4.50 (50 x 4. Highs)

-Memphis MCD500 (500 x 1. Sub)

Professionally installed, 2/2008. Replaced the "highs" amp in 8/2009, one of the channels went out (right front). I think it was from the same problem I am having now.

If you replace all parts and pieces of a system, never use the factory wiring. You never know where they go for sure. I always run new wires. If you have a buddy with a different HU you could try swapping them, see if it still does it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.