my first fiberglass box build

man!! talk about lots of sanding. i went through like 5 sheets of sand paper and sanded for like an hour and i still have a good bit to sand..i will get pics up in a lil. but for this being my first fg box i think i have done pretty good. i see lots of high and low spots but i will get the body filler on that. but my question is do i just use plain body filler and put on the whole thing or do i mix stuff??

its kinda dark but this is after the first sanding of the fg. still have to do a little more then put body filler on it. for my first time i think i did alright. what do yall think?

10.jpg

11.jpg

yess im going to paint the fiberglass part neon orange and carpet the mdf with auburn tigers fleece..WAR EAGLE!!! lol and do i just use plain body filler or do i mix it with sumthing? and for my first time does it look good?

i aint got one. i just got a plain electric sander. the kind that goes back n forth..lol but after the body filler im gunna hand sand it..lots of fun..lol

Good job, man!I plan on making some stuff out of FG soon.

That 4 parts MDF 1 part fiberglass seems pretty simple. :p
i guess..lol it was my first time ever dealing with fiberglass period. its turning out way way better than i expected. and in a wek or 2 im gunna start a fiberglass rear deck in my car for four 6x9s..and thanks bro for your positive input

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=74519&PN=1
if u read down, he goes on to mix body filler and resin, and it paints on much better i guess.

That's such a freaking waste it's unbelievable. Why on earth would you take just about the easiest sanding filler on the market and add resin to make it more difficult to sand? That's just farking stupid. If you have deep (1/4" or deeper) low spots to fill. Slap on some kitty hair( fiberglass reinforced filler) sand , then just use straight body filler on top without adding anything. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That's such a freaking waste it's unbelievable. Why on earth would you take just about the easiest sanding filler on the market and add resin to make it more difficult to sand? That's just farking stupid. If you have deep (1/4" or deeper) low spots to fill. Slap on some kitty hair( fiberglass reinforced filler) sand , then just use straight body filler on top without adding anything. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
from what i understand it makes it more of a liquid by adding the resin so you actually have less sanding to do. it fills in the low spots a lot faster than laying kitty hair. we generally just use rage gold or a similar body filler and start sanding when it is about 3/4 of the way dry. in my opinion, that's easier.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.