My component speakers -don't know what to do...

Stealth
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've got subwoofers, but when i put the subs in i didn't really have money for component speakers... but now i actually need them, because (my friends that have ridden with me back me up on this) you can hear the quality of the music isn't good at all coming out the stock speakers... so i'm thinking, can't i just get two 6x9s and two 4x6s, and put them in the place of the stock speakers, and won't they sound good? Obviously since they're still being run by the head unit (powered) and not by an external amp, they won't be able to get as LOUD, but they'll still have the quality, won't they? What kinds should i get? Please, i don't want to spend a fortune on these speakers, i'll be buying them on Ebay, and i don't want to pay a lot, because i just plain out don't have the money. I was thinking Infinity Kappas? i've heard a lot about them.

Also, once i've got those four speakers hooked up, i was thinking of putting two tweeters (possibly four?) in the car, probably at the four corners of the headliner. how do tweeters work? how are they powered and where do they connect to on the head unit? (i don't have an external crossover)

In the future, i'm planning on pulling all my midrange (OK, everything but the subs) to an external amp... i also would like to add two more 6x9s to the rear deck (making four altogether)... i've heard of a lot of people doing this, actually, i've heard of a lot of people doing a lot more than just this (i.e. putting 5.5"s on the doors, etc.)... would i get very good, extremely clear sound with the four 6x9s and the two 4x6s? (plus the two or four tweeters)?

Let me know, i'm very new to this aspect of car audio //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks

If your factory speakers don't sound good, then putting in aftermarket 4x6's and 6x9's will greatly improve the sound In my opinion. You don't have to pay a lot for multi-elements, just look around; don't go to Ebay //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif . Try looking at some online sterio shops like TheZEB, CBRsterio, Sounddomain, Ike Sound, ect...

Infinity Kappas make nice multi-elements; some of there multi-elemenst even feature passive crossovers that separate low frequencies to go to the woofer, and high frequencies to go to the tweeter (although, I'm not sure if there 4x6's do). Phoenix Gold also has passive crossovers on there multi-element. I have Infinity's 4x6 plate (tweeter and woofer are separate) multi-element in my Berreta, and they play load enough; powered by my Pioneer receiver; don't destorte (although i don't turn it up all the way). Focus on your front speakers, rather than the rear. This is just my opinion, but use your rear as "fill" sound, were you barely hear them; i think this improves imaging (like home theature, surround arn't as load as front center/mains).

If you get good coaxils (Infinity, Phoenix Gold, Boston Accoustic, Image Dynamics, ect..) then you shouldn't need separate tweeters. Adding 4-6x9's in your rear deck is a no-no, and a tweeter at every corner. All that will do is create a "wall of sound", and your rear speakers will over power your front (unless you want that). Now, if your replacement speakers don't have enough "high frequency" for you, then i can see adding a tweeter along side them.

with "passive crossovers"... that way they won't be trying to reproduce the bass that is supposed to go to the subs? cause i know the subs are connected in the back of the head unit, so they only try to play bass... they're connected onto the subwoofer-outs (i think)...

wouldn't it sound a lot better simply replacing the stock speakers with new ones (good new ones, like Inifinity Kappa)? Because the speakers are powered off the head unit stock anyway, aren't they? or do they have their own little amp they're connected to individiaully? i don't have a real crossover (although i know a lot of people that do)... i've always just had my stuff connected to the head unit... i don't really need component speakers to have a little woofer in them, because my subwoofers take care of that job... a tweeter wouldn't hurt though i guess...

i just want them to be able to get pretty loud, but above anything, they should be clear, i'm looking for quality, because the speakers i have now the music's all distorted //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Go with the Kappas you wont be disapointed I replaced my stock speakers with them and the improvment was like night and day. I ran them off my hu for a while @18wrms till I got my usx4065 amp now I love the sound. but even off the headfunit they should be a great improvment. good luck CC

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.