My amps hate me, eclipse premium and mtx roadthunder

JoshC
10+ year member

The Taco MASTA
Houston, tx
So ive been hearing my front right speaker cutting in and out. I pull off the door and find no issues so i break out the DMM. My right channel is only putting out a FRACTION of what the left is, untill i turn it up to about 20 of 28 then it starts putting out normal voltage.

So i pull it out and drop an MTX thunder 4000(OS 5ch) in, that i have already tested to be in working condition. Hook it all up and turn it on, everything sounds fine then i see smoke. I immediately kill the power and find that the front of the amp(RCA area) is were the smoke/heat is coming from. So then i connect just the front RCAs and power it back on, it played but sounded kinda funky. Why in the world did it smoke randomly? I had everything set properly, gain at minimum just to check the speakers before i set it via DMM

So i ended up throwing the eclipse back in and using the rear channels to power my fronts. Its doing fine but i lost a set of speakers. What do you guys think i should do? Any ideas on why one of my channels just randomly went out on my eclipse?

RCAs are the stinger v2s, there not cheap lol and they have been playing fine on that amp for over a month.

my preouts are only 2V

the summer heat bro
yea im thinking tx is to blame lol cant believe my ipod dosnt melt in that truck haha

But i got up a windshield reflector and finally got my windows tinted, hopefully it will keep the cabin temp down

RCAs are the stinger v2s, there not cheap lol and they have been playing fine on that amp for over a month.
my preouts are only 2V
Process of elimination.

swap your rca's behind your hu, you say your using your rear channel for your fronts now. try the rcas your using now on the front channel.

If it works, its not the hu.

might be a wire touching somewhere.

If it was the heat, seems like you would have problems on both channels of amp as well as your sub amp....just my opinion though.

hope you figure it out.

sounds like you may have a short somewhere, I don't see two amps randomly dieing back to back? But if that's the case the audio gods might be telling you something!

sounds like you may have a short somewhere, I don't see two amps randomly dieing back to back? But if that's the case the audio gods might be telling you something!
Very well could be the issue here..Does sound like something may be grounding out..Hopefully it can be found..hate to hear about amps kicking the bucket, and not able to find the culprit..That blows for sure

Hmmm, well its just one channel on the eclipse that does it ch.2 but it does seem like the mtx shorted. I also noticed that i got alot of static and noises just even touching the rcas when the amp was on. Maybe the mtx has something loose around the RCA area, ill open it up and look. The eclipse didnt fry, nothing smells burnt or gets warm just ch.2 have any voltage really till about 20 or so out of 28. But we did notice it would snap back on for a bit during hard right turns, amp could move a bit under the seat but not alot. All my wires are secured with rings so there not coming loose

So the mtx still has the warranty seal intacted, and its a pretty old amp so i havnt broke it yet. I remember the guy telling me he had a few more that fryed and they said they would give him new stuff for cheap if he sent them in. So i called and left a message, what you guys think?

the summer heat bro
Process of elimination.swap your rca's behind your hu, you say your using your rear channel for your fronts now. try the rcas your using now on the front channel.

If it works, its not the hu.

might be a wire touching somewhere.

If it was the heat, seems like you would have problems on both channels of amp as well as your sub amp....just my opinion though.

hope you figure it out.
Very well could be the issue here..Does sound like something may be grounding out..Hopefully it can be found..hate to hear about amps kicking the bucket, and not able to find the culprit..That blows for sure

Just changed out RCAs for a set i know is good, it played the music fine but when i hit pause there is a static noise in the back ground. It does sound like somethings grounding out but i checked my ground, its solid. Its not the RCAs and ive pulled the door i was getting issues from. Think maybe it could be my drivers side? I only have my front set connected

I did have a friend that had an issue with his speakers up front making static/fadding in and out issues, and sometimes would only play one side at times..come to find out, it was his rcas,touching each other/grounding out on the metal flooring of the vehicle..He wrapped Electrical tape around them, and hasnt had any issues to date..been like 4 months now..Might see if that could be it??Are the speaker wires being pinched in the door frame??Or did you run the wires through the rubber boot??

I did have a friend that had an issue with his speakers up front making static/fadding in and out issues, and sometimes would only play one side at times..come to find out, it was his rcas,touching each other/grounding out on the metal flooring of the vehicle..He wrapped Electrical tape around them, and hasnt had any issues to date..been like 4 months now..Might see if that could be it??Are the speaker wires being pinched in the door frame??Or did you run the wires through the rubber boot??
All my wires are threw the rubber boot, but ive already eliminated the wiring or speakers as the issue. Just dropped a set of boxed 6x9s in the seats and they have the static playing threw them as well. So its not my wiring or my components

I also tryed using a differnt 4ch(scorpion but i know there good) and a 2ch fosgate set(that are BRAN new) and both had the same static, but my stingers arnt playing the static as loud(they cost 3 times as much lol better be cleaner) so its not my RCAs.

At this point ive decided its either the amp its self or my HU, so im going to try and get a different unit in or find another environment to test the eclipse in.

For reference, my RCAs are ran up the center on my single cab truck. My power wire is ran down the drivers side door and my grounds are on the outer side of each seat to the chassis. Im guessing whatever the issue is, the mtx had a poorer protection circuit vs the eclipses. Idk

So i grounded a wire to one of the white RCA jacks. I have no more interference and so far the fronts are both playing properly, any ideas what happened? Blow a fuse in the unit or something?

I have no idea why it smoked my MTX :/ Hoping i hear some good news from there offices monday.

by any chance is the speaker wire going from the amp to the speaker touching at some point, should have a protection for that but you gata check errything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.