My 4 gauge wire is silver, is it possible its OFC, or would it be CCA?

Silver tint is tinned copper. That's what you want. Keeps corrosion down
Ok thats good to hear, but then what does CCA look like? i thought that was silver?

I cant find the same product online since i bought it so long ago so i cant tell if its CCA or OFC

cca is cooper clad aluminum, has copper coating but aluminum inside, if you use cca you will need 0 ga. to produce the same performance as 4 or 2 ga. from what I hear.
So CCA wire could be copper coloured too?

is there any way to tell what my wire is?

Look at the end when it's cut coca will look like copper outside but when cut you will see the aluminum inside ofc is solid copper all the way thru. Tinned ofc has a silver outside and copper inside.

if you use cca properly you won't have any issues, it is when people use the same size cca as they do cooper wire on amplifiers that draw a lot of amps then they start to melt wire, I am not saying cca is the best by far, I prefer cooper myself, but if your on a budget and you know it's limitations and how to size it properly for your install you will be fine.

Nothing in this hobby is free. In the long run they will cost pretty much the same.

OFC will carry more current longer. By time you get enough runs of CCA to match it you have to add in the cost of terminals and blocks. Install issues..

Last I looked 4 OFC was cheaper than 1/0 CCA.

Nothing in this hobby is free. In the long run they will cost pretty much the same. OFC will carry more current longer. By time you get enough runs of CCA to match it you have to add in the cost of terminals and blocks. Install issues..

Last I looked 4 OFC was cheaper than 1/0 CCA.
Not 100% true. 2 runs of Cca will carry more current then one run of ofc and will be cheaper.

Both have there place. I have done tons of builds using both and unless you are trying to squeeze the last tenth out of a burp setup where u run sine waves all day if both are installed correctly and used within there limits both Will perform well.

I will tell you this though anybody that buys car audio branded ofc over welding is a complete and utter *******

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MellowHype

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
MellowHype
Uk, London
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date