My 4 gauge wire is silver, is it possible its OFC, or would it be CCA?

I will tell you this though anybody that buys car audio branded ofc over welding is a complete and utter *******
Im guessing you have experience with welding, is it always copper or do you get CCA welding stuff too?

2 20' runs of CCA 1/0 = $80 500 amps 1 20' run of OFC 1/0 = $79 375 amps
1 20' run of ofc 1/0 would cost me $120

But i can get 1/0 welding cable for about the equivilent of $55

just not sure if its copper

Its this stuff, can anyone tell if it will be ok for car audio? thats 50mm2, a tad smaller than real 1/0

Welding Cable Battery Live 365 Amp 50mm Red Flexible Per Meter Mig Arc Welder | eBay

Im guessing you have experience with welding, is it always copper or do you get CCA welding stuff too?

1 20' run of ofc 1/0 would cost me $120

But i can get 1/0 welding cable for about the equivilent of $55

just not sure if its copper

Its this stuff, can anyone tell if it will be ok for car audio? thats 50mm2, a tad smaller than real 1/0

Welding Cable Battery Live 365 Amp 50mm Red Flexible Per Meter Mig Arc Welder | eBay
Welding cable is 100% copper. NOT OFC, but 100% COPPER. It is not tinned. I use it though, its great, get 2/0 welding to fit right in 1/0 car audio lugs and terminals.

Now add in terminals, and the PITA of running 2 runs of 1/0. I don't know about you but for 2 runs I had to go under the car.

I bought 30 3/0 copper terminals a few years ago for cheap from CarQuest so I'm good for a while. I have 2 runs in mine. It was tight in the holes at the floor supports but I got it.

I won't be pulling over 500 amps so I see no point in the extra price of OFC. 2 AQ2200s will pull "400" amps strapped. Then "90" amps from my 4 channel.

I think CCA is perfectly fine to use. If your pulling under 250 amps use the CCA 1/0

If you really need up to 375 yes go OFC.

Pick up some sky high 2/0 OFC for like 700 amps if you want. Or 2 runs of OFC 1/0. Whatever's cheaper IMO.

I had a fuse pop on one of my runs with 6k in the back and I didn't notice anymore drop than normal. The only reason I knew it pop is because I was detailing the engine bay. I strongly doubt CCA would have done that. People including myself tend to go overboard with runs. You are only going to flow what your alt can make. CCA does heat up even on rated current, once it starts it continues to get worse over time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MellowHype

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
MellowHype
Uk, London
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date