mounting fuse blocks

I'm working on a bracket right now to bolt onto my battery tray in my Jeep. I just milled it out of some 1/2 inch aluminum plate. I'll drill a couple of holes in the tab to attach with the existing bolts.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Im wanting to do something like that just need some picture of others peoples handy work to give me some ideas. Most people are lazy and just leave laying on top of the battery or factory fuse box.

from what I have found I always screw my fuse boxes to the air intake (as long as it is near the battery) It always looks nice and clean

i had a crappy scosche fuse block melt on me cause i had it mounted to my metal inner fender in the truck.

dang thing almost tried to burn down the truck but luckly i have a voltage guage and caught it as it was happening.

from now on i mount all my fuze blocks on top of a piece of wood / non conductive surface / or plastic

Glad you posted this thread.. I'm knee deep in the middle of an install.. Car gutted etc. Have my wires run, included Power wire and "guestimated" the fuse length about 12-16" from where it will hook the battery terminal,.. I won't be screwing it into the sheet metal on the side!.. Best thing for the area seems to neatly zip tie it to some of the factory Wire loom nearby, or ziptie to one of the two fuseboxes right there,.. I'm not a big fan of driling holes into Airboxes, or even a fusebox. Don't like permanently altering pieces meant to be sealed. Little parts like that cost a fortune for this car,..

brian84corvette,.. Even if a Fuse is mounted in it's plastic casing to the sheetmetal of a car,.. It is supposed to be safe in that location no? I thought the main purpose (besides protecting the fuse itself) of the plastic shell was to keep it non conductive. Were any strands of the power wire hanging out a bit at the fuse junction? Seems like an odd thing to happen to an enclosed fuse,.. I figured it'd just blow and that'd be that.

nope - the style scosche fuze block i had was made from plastic - and used a screw from the underside to mount each side of the metal bar wich holds each side of the fuse. the screws were exposed on the underside of the plastic fuse block - so it was basicly a dead short to ground - and let me tell you - by the time i got off the highway and pulled over - that plastic fuze holder was a complete melted mess all over my fender and that 2 guage wire was about red hot - as that little screw under there was some how able to either back out or in some way come in to contact with ground ( the metal of my inner fender ) imediately melted down the plastic holder - and alloed full terminal bar contact with ground = major fire hazard

i will never mount my fuse blocks to anything but a piece of wood - or a thick piece of hard plastic ( like a chunk of a cutting board )

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.