mounting amp onto sub box

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
How do you do this without box flex damaging the amp?

Screw on extra layer of MDF first to stiffin the mounting surface? What about a layer of rubber? Foam? etc?

What are your methods?

There is no practical place to mount my amp in the trunk and easily get to it for adjustments and such unless its right on top of the sub enclosure.

you need to get the amp off the box by at least an 1/8 inch .it will help ,but its not totally fool proof .best way is not have it on the box period.

.best way is not have it on the box period.
some of us don't have any other way. Before my radio shack subs blew, my amp was sitting sideways leaning against the sub box. And it knocked against the box from time to time because of road conditions, driving, etc. ANY OTHER METHOD has to be better than that. Certainly mounting it onto the enclosure....

.....the question is how? I was thinking about just using a thick rubber mat/pad to screw onto the box, then screw the amp onto the rubber pad. It would serve to be a shock absorber and reduce resonance frequency just like sound damping material does.

Sounds good or retarded?

some of us don't have any other way. Before my radio shack subs blew' date=' my amp was sitting sideways leaning against the sub box. And it knocked against the box from time to time because of road conditions, driving, etc. ANY OTHER METHOD has to be better than that. Certainly mounting it onto the enclosure....
.....the question is how? I was thinking about just using a thick rubber mat/pad to screw onto the box, then screw the amp onto the rubber pad. It would serve to be a shock absorber and reduce resonance frequency just like sound damping material does.

Sounds good or retarded?[/quote']

no but it doesn't work either ,need to get the amp off the box ,or at least get like i said 1/8 inch between the amp and box

I have the inside of my box resined an braced, then I have had 3 different amps a Skar 1500, dc 2k, an now my crescendo 3kwp have all been mounted to my box using 2 rubber washers on each mounting feet with about a 1/2 inch opening an never had a problem so far.

I have the inside of my box resined an braced, then I have had 3 different amps a Skar 1500, dc 2k, an now my crescendo 3kwp have all been mounted to my box using 2 rubber washers on each mounting feet with about a 1/2 inch opening an never had a problem so far.
There are a lot of things in life you can get by with doing and end up not having any consequences. That does not mean that it is a good idea, or it should be done.

what's the difference between mounting you amp to the box or anywhere else in the car near the subs? it's all the same, I and tons of other installers have seen guys do this with no consequences. as long as your amp has the proper cooling and isn't mounted upside down than you should be good. BTW I don't install amps on boxes b/c it's ugly and makes it easier for someone to steal everything with one pull.

There are a lot of things in life you can get by with doing and end up not having any consequences. That does not mean that it is a good idea, or it should be done.
Did I tell him to do it or not do it no. I was just stating I have done it without problems.

If your box is built properly, and mounted to the vehicle properly, it shouldn't flex much more than the surrounding sheetmetal the box is bolted to. But, both are often not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
what's the difference between mounting you amp to the box or anywhere else in the car near the subs? it's all the same, I and tons of other installers have seen guys do this with no consequences. as long as your amp has the proper cooling and isn't mounted upside down than you should be good. BTW I don't install amps on boxes b/c it's ugly and makes it easier for someone to steal everything with one pull.
I have seen many people do this with no consequences as well, but at the same time, I have seen and read about enough people sending in their amps for repair due to damage caused by vibration. It seems certain amps are more prone to failure than others.

lol @ all this. Mounting to a well built and braced box is fine. I would make sure the panel is doubled up for strength tho. If the panel doesnt flex when you're running full tilt, you're good to go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.