mounting amp on box...a no no?

Participant count
  • Participant list

d audio 450
10+ year member

whats the deal with mounting an amp onto the sub box...

ive heard people say its not good for the amp...but ive also seen a ton of people do it....(however i know alot of ppl havent a clue what they doin)

any advice/comments/insults appreciated

thanks

-pat

i have always have and ory always wil run w/ my amp on the box i use rubber washers and put them between the amp and the box to dampen the vibrations and havent had a problem yet

The rubber washers idea really is doing next to nothing for you,in reallity whereevere the amp is located it is suseptible to vibrations....the issue is more or less flexing of the box on the side that it is mounted on. Now, if it does flex your going to have problems with the amp being damaged, but you also have the problem of the flexing itself. Not to say this is proper at all, but in my case I have an xtant amp that is cased in 1/8" steal, now I guarontee that no sub out there is power enough to bend the 3/4"mdf and that steal. So it acts like a brace (not proper by anymeans). Generally I would say mount it where it is convient, if I am building the box, I often build it and make a second peice of mdf that is the same size and carpeted that I usually screw the amp to so it is reomovable, I am just it acts to stifen it up a bit as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.