mount subs upside down? also wiring?

• Thread starter <chickenman>
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 5K
&

<chickenman>

i have a little problem... my audiobahn aw1200s do not fit in the box the normal way, but fit if i mount them upside down so that the magnet structure is on the outside, can i do this? also, can i wire 2 dvc subs in parallel on a 2 channel amp? someone told me to bridge the amp but it would blow the subs, can i do 1 sub on each channel? please help me

but can i mount the subs upside down with the magnet structure on the outside? what will be the difference if i can do this?

Well you could always try it it will not hurt anything i have did it before it doesnt sound bad but you know the only place if seen it done is in bandpass but that hurts nothing cause of the plexiglass also al the air comes out of the magnet at the bottow now with it sticking out in no enclosier u would think that it would sound like ass but i do not think it wil1 sound bad it should be able to move enough air through the cone if this doesnt work just bulid another but the only problem would be dont those subs have huge outside surrounds that would damage them if you screwed them down and they were pressed agianst that wood.Agian like i said just try it.

yes you can invert the subs. You may have to change the polarity on the subs. Try hooking the subs up the regular way first + to + on the amp - to - on the amp. Then reverse it + of sub to negative of the amp, and - of the sub to positive of the amp. See which one sounds better. Either way will work. It's just sometimes one way will sound better than the other.

And yes. If your amp can handle the load on each channel then yes.

Yea, you can mount your subs upside down, but it will work best if ported, then they really rock!!

I heard a 12" thnder 8000 in future shop and it was huge!

When doing this upside down stuff it should be ported box?? what size would the box have to be?? just curious... I might try it...

Originally posted by :When doing this upside down stuff it should be ported box?? what size would the box have to be?? just curious... I might try it...
It doesn't matter if the box is ported or not. What kind of subs ?

when u mount a sub upsidedown in a box u have to use your trunck as a speaker box, therefor u want a small trunk, in order for it to work good, they will sound better in a box the right way, they distort when there basackwards.

Originally posted by crowbuum:when u mount a sub upsidedown in a box u have to use your trunck as a speaker box, therefor u want a small trunk, in order for it to work good, they will sound better in a box the right way, they distort when there basackwards.
What ??? Where did you get this. A speaker has two sides correct? A front and a back correct ? Both sides of the sub produce the same output. The ONLY difference is they are 180 degrees out of phase of one another.

There are three major reasons people invert the subs.

1. Lack of airspace in the enclosure.

2. Cosmetic

3. Physical depth is not deep enough to mount the sub normally.

Many,many SQ competitors have useed, and are currently using inverted subs. If it sounds so bad would they be using them like this. Doubt it

Ramos... I am going to be useing Audiobahn 1208X's 12inchers 2 of them... I think the air space for these babies is like 2.8cubic feet... not sure tho... when I heard the up side down fact... I was just wonderin... if I did get the right air space the regular way my box would prolly be too big for my car which would **** a$$ and the speakers would sound crapy... I just thought if you inverted the subs that you wouldnt need that big of a box... or how does that go? E-mail me! at sports_man_24@hotmail.com I will tell you everything I have then... or am going to get.

thnx for the help, the thing was that the 12 inch subs didnt fit in the 12 inch box diameter wise, i was just too much of a lazy bastard to sand it down. i ended up sanding it down eventually, the box is too small so im not getting the sound i want... but what else will fit in the back of a saturn coupe?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.