Morel 3-way or Morel 2-way

Participant count
  • Participant list

e46tas

PA
Hello everyone,

I want to build my car to compete in SQ competitions. I have heard the Morel Ovations. They sounded really good.

I am looking at Morel Elates 3-way with Supremo Piccolo tweeters and Morel Supremos 2-way and adding 9" midbass.

Morel 3-way

http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mob_3way_elate.html

Morel 2-way

http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mob_2way_supremo.html

9" midbass

http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mob_components_woofers_elatesw.html

I don't no which one to choose.

Thank you,

e46tas

It is really going to depend if you are willing to install them correctly. Where do you plan on mounting them? Doors are probably the worst location for any speaker. You will be better of mounting all of them in your kick panel/floor. It is amazing the difference a kick panel mounted midbass makes. The kick panel is also probably the best place to mount the midrange too. One good thing about the setup that you mention is that the midrange is sealed in the back and doesn't require any airspace. To get the best sound it is all going to depend on how crazy you wanna go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Get out the sawzall!

Really my first question should have been what vehicle do you have?

I have 2000 BMW. Tweeter and midrange will in be kicks and 9" will be in custom enclosure in the door panel. Everything will be professionally installed. I am looking at Genesis or Arc amps to drive the speakers in an Active set-up.

i don't compete at all, but if I recall, you aren't allowed to compete if your install was done professionally, you have to do it all yourself. i think you can compete in the higher levels but not rookie or other low level comps.

honestly, do the install yourself, maybe with guidance from someone on here that is really knowledgeable. you will learn a ton and be more proud of your system and any comps you win with it

That's cool. Let me see....first of all what kind of custom enclosure are you talking about? An aperiodic? As for the midrange and tweet, they are similar to the dyns and work very well off axis if I'm not mistaken. I've known of some guys to run that Morel midrange down to 300ish range. Anyway, I see that you are on elite so if I were you I would send a PM to audionutz. He has used Morel in his sq car before. If you do end up usning the 9's I would run them down to at least 40 hz. I run my 8's down that far. I personally am not using the dome midrange or the tweet in the setup that I have now because the dome wouldn't play low enough. As for amps...you can't go wrong with either one of those. Some other high quality amps are: Zapco, McIntosh, Steg, Helix, Brax. Anyway I am sure you have already checked into it. I guess one of the main things is to see what the installers reputation is and make sure they know what they are doing and not just slapping something in the car. Installation is going to be the most important part of a sq vehicle. I don't know what they are charging but it usually takes hours just finding the best place and angles for the speakers. Either way it should sound really good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif What type of processing are you going to have?

i don't compete at all, but if I recall, you aren't allowed to compete if your install was done professionally, you have to do it all yourself. i think you can compete in the higher levels but not rookie or other low level comps.
honestly, do the install yourself, maybe with guidance from someone on here that is really knowledgeable. you will learn a ton and be more proud of your system and any comps you win with it
It depends on what class and sanctioning body and level of modification. I know in MECA you would either be in modified or modex depending on how everything is setup. Basically if you cut alot of sheet metal you will be in modex. If it can be returned to stock you will be in modified. I don't know for sure about a rookie or amateur class. I'd definately talk to some of the guys over on elite because quite a few of them are judges. They could tell you what class you would be in.

i had skimmed the rulebook, and was just giving him a heads up because he may not have realized that he would end up in a higher class than he bargained for.

if i were going to start competing i would rather do the work myself and start at the bottom

You can have the equipment installed by a shop and still be in rookie but I don't think you can have many modifications. I did everything in my truck and don't work for a shop and have never competed before but I can't be in the entry class due to the modifications.

I should have listed the my hardware earlier.

Alpine IVA-D900 HU

MBquarts-PCE213 comps.

2-JL 10w3v2 subs

JL 300\2 which just died on me.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif It was hardly ever used.

JL 500\1

I will be getting Alpine PXA-H701 Processor and RUX-701

The installer is reputable and I have seen his work. It will most likely be an aperiodic enclosure. I will be tunning the vehicle myself. I will also take pics during the install.

I believe I will be in Street Semi-Pro class according to IASCA rules.

I don't suppose you can control the H701 with that head unit can you? That would be alot easier. I use the W200 and it is wonderful having a visual on the frequency bands...mainly just makes thing a little easier. Anyway...just a heads up on he IASCA thing. I believe next year every class other than Rookie will be going to 2 seat judging so take that into consideration when having the speakers installed and have the pathlengths as close as possible. It is gonna be hard to get good imaging from both seats unless the speaker distances are within around 6" of each other and with speakers in the doors that is gonna be really tough. But...you do what you have to do to compete. I personally don't think it is right because not everyone has the money, ability, or want to completely tear apart a car for everything to be the same from 2 seats. Some vehicles just don't work well that way and it takes away from the ones that want to just have fun in the sport. And the thing about your amp quitting on you....there is no better time to really get some power on those Morels //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Definately put some power on those 9's. I'd say 200+

I am still not sure If my HU can control the 701. I have asked this question on different forums and I got mixed inputs. Just to be on the safe side, I am going to go ahead and purchase th RUX.

2 seat judging? ****, maybe I should look into doing pillar pods. I wonder if they could give me better staging.

Well...here is the problem with pillars. They actually increase the path lengths and will make 2 seat judging worse. I have mine set up for 1 seat judging because I couldn't put the speakers anywhere except on the firewall and I didn't want to do away with my ac. There are some vehicles that work pretty good from both sides but they are few and far between. I even moved my driver seat back 6" from it's stock location and still wasn't able to get really close so I installed them at the far right of the dash and built the dash around it. IASCA hasn't really been doing well IMO and this 2 seat judging sounds like it will eliminate alot of the competitors because not everyone is willing to hack up a car to get the sound right. My next project will be able to be judged in both seats but it won't be a daily driver like this one is. As of right now there are only a few cars that I know of that work well from both seats and they have EXTENSIVE modifications. Going strictly 2 seat seems like it is taking the fun out of even doing it. I believe they actually tried to do it 2 seater this year but had alot of complaints so they moved some of the classes down to 1 seat. But I heard next year it will be all but rookie unless they changed it. There aren't many IASCA shows here where I live so I'll probably mostly compete in MECA next year. Seems like they have their **** together and have heard good things.

Get in your car with a measuring tape and put your seat all the way back and measure the distance from the kick panels to your head just to get a rough estimate of what you have to work with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.