Molding an LCD into a Dash Bezel

Doh ! does the screen actually fit within the confines of the panel ? I was thinking it was too big and you needed to remake the panel itslef. If it will fit then go with MR. Whitelaws way. Pastic filler is alot easier to use. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

OMFG, I just got back from this shop.. the guy says he guesses this project would run about 15-20 hours, at a rate of $75/hour..
He said it will probably be over $1000... SHEEESH!! COME ON!

He obviously failed to realize the simplicity of this project, probably because he was busy, but whatever..

I'm not taking this stuff for granted, I mean it is difficult, but I cannot see a skilled fabricator spending more than 6 hours on this (excluding curing time)..

The tricky part is the 1st part, which I'm struggling with as you may have noticed..

After you get the right shape, it's pretty simple to fit the piece in, sand it, and prep it for paint..

I might have to use expanding foam or short-strand marglass/everglass to make my mold/tub and then glass inside that.
Besides me not wanting to pay that I don't really see a problem with the amount quoted, thats about going rate for shop labor and I bet you have spent atleast that amount of time and made little to no progress...

However, I'm sure after you have done it correctly once, you'll get better and each time thereafter will get shorter....

Here is a link to a group that I find helpful..

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/glassmanscustomforum/?yguid=90893862

I even paid yearly fee to be able to download his videos... There are several showing exacly what you want to do... The video shows and tells Step by step, telling how to do it and what supplies are needed... He adds videos every few weeks too...

Lastly, you can request topics for him to cover...

Hope this helps some... I know its frustrating... I'd like to learn more about this too... I have an extra dash bezel for my truck I'd like to put a monitor and some digital guages in, where the factory head unit was....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.