Port Area Question

No, as a matter of fact, the greater the cross-sectional area of the port, the less chuffing there is at higher excursions, so you get more music and less noise.

EDIT: And I wouldn't say 34Hz is a "low" tuning point, either. It isn't too high, but something like 20-25Hz is low.

i didn't mean that 34 was low, it was just a number to put up, but so basically if you can get 400 square inches of port, it'd be good?

larger port area means you need a longer port

for example in a box thats 4 cubes after displacement tuned to 34 hz with a 10"x10" port it needs to be 49.82" long (winisd)

in that same box with a port thats 40"x10" the port needs to be 210.25" long

so 400 sq inches of port area is pretty impractical, but I suppose you could do it if you wanted to

I've heard you actually start going downhill after the port area gets larger then the cone area, So 400 sq. inches would be a waste
alrighty, that's what i wanted to know

so the port area shouldn't be larger than the cone area of all sub(s) combined?

I think thats right.......BUT I have no proof to back this up!! I've only heard this mentioned a few times.

Maybe rangerman or bigbassman will read this and help out

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.