Mids have too much exursion

Trey803
5,000+ posts

GAMECOCKS
SC
So I hooked up my p880 and did the auto eq thing. IMO it made it sound alot better than before. The mids have now come alive like I've never seen and they sound really good. The problem is that the woofers are moving so much that they are hitting the door panel. Any body have this problem and if so how did you fix it. The only way for me to take make the speakers sit farther back would be to remoce the clay I used in and around the speaker baffles.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you have cancellation issues in your midbass area. The auto EQ is detecting your phasing issues, and attempting to EQ it out, which isn't possible, no matter how hard it tries. Turn off your auto EQ, flip the phase on one of your midbasses and see if you don't get an increase in output. If you have an adjustable phase on your fronstage amp, use that, if not try putting them 180 out by flipping wires on 1 side.

If they are sounding louder than before, its probably not a cancelation issue. Maybe just try eq-ing some of the lower frequencies down a bit and see if that helps while maintaining your better/louder sound.

? I just said that they sounded great and amazing. Their is almost too much midbass because it is causing the speaker to hit the grill on the door panel. I dont understand what you mean by attempting to get an increase in output. I have plenty of output.

Yes I changed the slope of the eq curve to -12db and also change the crossover f to 100. This stopped the hitting but I kinda miss the midbass.

Yes I changed the slope of the eq curve to -12db and also change the crossover f to 100. This stopped the hitting but I kinda miss the midbass.
80hz with a 1st order slope was a bit low,that'd explain your excursion. You should be get more potential output from your mids now, just not as much in the subbass area. Can you drop your center any lower, maybe 60hzish at 12 or 24.

PS. He'll lose output down low by sealing those, heck, he'll probably lose output period, SLC's mids have a high q as I remember. Best comes to best, it'll sound peaky.

keep it at 80 but put the slope as high as it can go, like 24db. with it only at 6 its playing a lot of subbass frequencies down into the 40hz range. not good for those speakers

Had the same problem with my AA poly mids. I made a small "L" shaped bracket and the shorter leg is about 3/8". I drilled a hole in it and mounted it with one of the bottom speaker screws so it holds the door panel away from the driver a little more. I did have to use a few self tapping screws to secure the door panel in that corner but it works fine.

Found a pic. It's on the lower/left mounting screw. Has some electrical tape on the part that contacts the inside of the door panel. It's about 3/8"-1/2" tall. HTH....

1000671zg0.jpg

Yeah I checked and the SLC instruction manual sais 80hz at -12db. If my amplifier is also set at 80hz and has a -12db slope, and the cd player is set at a -12db slope attenutating the signal after they have already been attenuated by the amplifier woud this result in a steeper slope.

Yeah I checked and the SLC instruction manual sais 80hz at -12db. If my amplifier is also set at 80hz and has a -12db slope, and the cd player is set at a -12db slope attenutating the signal after they have already been attenuated by the amplifier woud this result in a steeper slope.
try it and see. You may not get the exact intended results, but it should helps some, hopefully the Q's are close.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.