Pairing speakers with an amplifier

rav4bigballs

CarAudio.com Newbie
For a 4 channel amplifier 70w RMS 170w peak power (Sony XMN1004)
-Does the amplifiers peak power need to be higher the same or lower than the peak power rating of the speakers
-If I use two sets of speakers 1 more powerful 1 less powerful, can power be favoured relative to the speaker power or is it all constant.
Also, any recommendations for 2 pairs of 6.5" component speakers 100-150$ a pair?
Cheers!

Does the amplifiers peak power need to be higher the same or lower than the peak power rating of the speakers
You want the amplifier RMS to be equal or greater than speaker RMS (not a set rule).
I use two sets of speakers 1 more powerful 1 less powerful, can power be favoured relative to the speaker power or is it all constant
It can be favored via the Gain knob. It is better to keep both sets on similar power even though they are rated different. This prevents one from "pulling" the sound stage

Last edited:
Assuming peak amplification is one billion watts and peak speaker capacity is the same it’s safer to use real numbers. Rms, root mean square, is the real world number that actually counts. A 4 ch amp rated at 400 may be able to put that out but not likely in 4ohm. My 4 ch puts out 85 watts per ch at 4 ohm. This is all it’s able to offer at that ohm or resistance level.
It’s mathematically possible to approximate many things, one of which is the amps output voltage in ac into something close to ideal for speakers based on their wattage. I’m not a fan of this method as it led to distortion. I prefer to reduce it from distortion level to build in a safety factor.

Use the rms values as one could speculate forever about the possibility of peak performance. Peak historically meant the highest level it’ll play to and through the point of destruction/ blowing.

With the peak power though, where should amp power sit relative to speakers
That is a value that is not used in audio tuning. Main reason it is mostly a hyperbolic marketing value. Amplifiers will play peak power but only momentarily during a crescendo because music is dynamic. This monentary burst will not damage speakers when you set gains by the RMS values.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...