midbass location

If you are planning on running a midbass in the doors I wouldn't run them any higher than 200 hz even dwon to 140 or 125 if possible. The human ear can tell where a sound is coming from above that frequency. I have the Dynaudio system 360 with the 8" midbass. My midrange and tweeter were in the kick panel and the midbass in the door. Everything was up high until there were male vocals and then the sound would be pulled down below the dash. The setup I have now is the midbass in the kick panel running from 50-140, the midrange from 140-6.3k, and the tweeter from 6.3 up. Placement is key to having everything sound right.
Ok, thanks for the input. Your midrange sure is covering a lot of bandwidth. A 6" midbass won't have as much power on the low end as an 8" but as a tradeoff I'm hoping they'll sound good up higher so my midrange won't have to cover as much, although I'm not going by experience, it's just an idea. Don't know if passing some of the lower midrange frequencies to the midbass driver will make a difference not.

if your midbass drivers are playing anything over 200-250ish..then it is indeed directional and is playing lower male vocals...if you have the space and are willing to move them away from you...then you have more to gain than to leave them there...
Ok, thanks. The car has the instrument cluster in the middle of the dash which means the installer can make room for the midbass speakers on the dash beside the midrange. Will put them in boxes, angle them, then mold the dash over top of them.

Having installed Midbass kits in my Doors, Dash, Rear Seat Area and In the floor. I can tell you when setup to play 120~400hz you can not tell where they are.

I have seen where people tune them to play Bass 60~100hz which sounds like crap and defeats there design purpose. If they want sub buy a sub.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Having installed Midbass kits in my Doors, Dash, Rear Seat Area and In the floor. I can tell you when setup to play 120~400hz you can not tell where they are.
I have seen where people tune them to play Bass 60~100hz which sounds like crap and defeats there design purpose. If they want sub buy a sub.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif
You may not be able to tell where it is coming from but I can. I had mine setup to play higher frequencies and when male vocals came in they pulled down to the door. Everyone hears differently and all vehicles are different. But I have talked to alot of the top people in the industry that have won their classes in sq and all of them have told me that you will get better results with kick panel mounting over door or floor mounting.

As for low frequency range, you determine that yourself. I prefer to play mine lower because it is an 8". To each his/her own. I just know that mine sounds TOTALLY different since moving the midbass to the kick panel and playing it lower. Which I have a sub up front too so everything is up front.

I can always tell...you are not in an anechoic chamber...nor are you in a perfect seating position...nor are you far enough away from tactile energy transfer..

and that coment you made about a sub...wow...you know a ton...the bottom line is...you want as much frequency played infront of you..so this means having your front stage play as low as possible...30-40hz ish if possible...this helps creating a true soundstage...

I can always tell...you are not in an anechoic chamber...nor are you in a perfect seating position...nor are you far enough away from tactile energy transfer..
and that coment you made about a sub...wow...you know a ton...the bottom line is...you want as much frequency played infront of you..so this means having your front stage play as low as possible...30-40hz ish if possible...this helps creating a true soundstage...

Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard:laugh: Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?

When setup right the Front stage, Mids and subs should sound like its around you, Not coming right at you.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard:laugh: Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
When setup right the Front stage, Mids and subs should sound like its around you, Not coming right at you.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Please tell me you aren't serious. Ever heard of Gary Biggs???? IASCA champ for the past....4 years??? He has a 10" sub behind the dash of his car. Scott Buwalda?? he had a 12" sub firing up in the top of his dash and he won his class. Maybe you need to do a little more research on sq.

Another thing, the vocals and music should sound like it is coming in front of you but there should be an effect of the sound around you. But that will be determined by the room size that the song was recorded. And trust me, this is well achieved with having everything up front. The location of speakers is key in how the system will sound. Ever been to a concert? The singers and musicians are in front of you, not "around you" When everything is setup right your speakers "disappear" Vocals and music should sound like they are coming from the center of your windshield and spread from at least pillar to pillar if not further and there should also be depth as in coming from past the hood.

You also mentioned something earlier in the post that you ran your midbass from 120-400?? I guess you ran your sub from 120 and down??? And both of these were coming from behind you?? If so then you had 400hz up playing in front of you. That would sound like ass. If you couldn't tell that the sub and midbass were behind you, something is wrong with your ears.

If you are planning on running a midbass in the doors I wouldn't run them any I have the Dynaudio system 360 with the 8" midbass. My midrange and tweeter were in the kick panel and the midbass in the door. Everything was up high until there were male vocals and then the sound would be pulled down below the dash. The setup I have now is the midbass in the kick panel running from 50-140, the midrange from 140-6.3k, and the tweeter from 6.3 up.

Are we telling the truth here?

Scott Buwalda:

http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/The%20Expert%20240SX.htm

Gary Biggs: (the round thing sticking out on the left side of the picture is the woofer enclosure)

gbiggs7_2003.jpg

Alma Gates: (Midrange, tweeter, and midbass in front of you..who would have thought??)

show_image.pl

Yeah I am running the MW170. It says in my signature that I'm not using the md140 midrange or the md100 tweeter. I'm using a Canton Pullman 4" cone speaker and a canton tweeter. I should have clarified that when I posted the first time. The md140 can play down to 500hz.....but I wouldn't recommend it.

first off...I'd go play in traffic for spouting at the mouth..do you have any idea who you are talking to?.....I think I know at thing or two about car audio bro...and all you look like is a d@mn idiot....

Do you have any idea what a defined center image soundslike?

THE BOTTOM LINE IS.....YOU WANT TO HAVE THE CLOSEST TO A LIVE PERFORMANCE AS POSSIBLE....THIS MEANS IF POSSIBLE TO HAVE EVERY DRIVER INFRONT OF YOU!!!!

Things like minimizing PLD's....eliminating tactile energy transfer...are all things every serious SQ'er should address....

yes all the great cars have upfront subs...garry's regal...scott's new and old 240, steve head's civic,jason syner's civic,natans boutanno "spelling" echo, earl zalsmer's bmw which 1st had a pair of 12's then went to 15's in the kicks....

would you like so school me some more retard?

so that pic in my sig...that round thing is a sub.....

first off...I'd go play in traffic for spouting at the mouth..do you have any idea who you are talking to?.....I think I know at thing or two about car audio bro...and all you look like is a d@mn idiot....
Do you have any idea what a defined center image soundslike?

THE BOTTOM LINE IS.....YOU WANT TO HAVE THE CLOSEST TO A LIVE PERFORMANCE AS POSSIBLE....THIS MEANS IF POSSIBLE TO HAVE EVERY DRIVER INFRONT OF YOU!!!!

Things like minimizing PLD's....eliminating tactile energy transfer...are all things every serious SQ'er should address....

yes all the great cars have upfront subs...garry's regal...scott's new and old 240, steve head's civic,jason syner's civic,natans boutanno "spelling" echo, earl zalsmer's bmw which 1st had a pair of 12's then went to 15's in the kicks....

would you like so school me some more retard?

so that pic in my sig...that round thing is a sub.....
AMEN!!! I've said all I need to say thus far. I'm through with this post.

Put the midbass in the FRONT grouchy

Yeah I am running the MW170. It says in my signature that I'm not using the md140 midrange or the md100 tweeter. I'm using a Canton Pullman 4" cone speaker and a canton tweeter. I should have clarified that when I posted the first time. The md140 can play down to 500hz.....but I wouldn't recommend it.

I figured that .Me lub mw170's:yumyum:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

grouchy

10+ year member
grouchy
Surrey BC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from