Mid or not to mid?

Iosias
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Looking for some feedback from some of you guys running a 3 way active setup and whether the extra effort to fab and install some solid midrange was worth it.

Im currently gonna be running some Vifa NE19VTS-04 3/4

X65 midwoofers.

I think ill be adding a Audison Bit ten at some point and looking in to maybe adding some mids.

You can have a 2way system that sounds just as good or better. If you take the time on the install, 3way can be very nice, but it takes a lot more work to get it right though.

I just got some FoCal K2-power KRX3ways and they are really nice. placement is key, and so is phase, slopes, and cutoff points. I am still figuring mine out, but so far way more clearity than my 2 way comps, Do you have a 3 way active deck? hop over to DIYMA, they have a shit load of information on active 3way setups and self help.

I just got some FoCal K2-power KRX3ways and they are really nice. placement is key, and so is phase, slopes, and cutoff points. I am still figuring mine out, but so far way more clearity than my 2 way comps, Do you have a 3 way active deck? hop over to DIYMA, they have a shit load of information on active 3way setups and self help.
Not currently, was thinking of going with the Bit Ten over a active capable deck.

Not currently, was thinking of going with the Bit Ten over a active capable deck.
well, it all depends on how much you want to be messing with everything till you get it "perfect" going 3way active is time consuming. Bit Ten will be more forgiving, but still takes alot. post links to specs of your gear. and the car its goin in.

well, it all depends on how much you want to be messing with everything till you get it "perfect" going 3way active is time consuming. Bit Ten will be more forgiving, but still takes alot. post links to specs of your gear. and the car its goin in.
Tweeters and mids are in my original post, will add another amp to run the mids if I go that route and its in a Silverado ext cab 2003. Build thread is

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/562268-craptastic-basstatic.html

it's not that it takes a lot of money to make a 3-way work - but it does take an assload amount of time. getting proper locations with adequate airspace is the biggest challenge and requires permanent vehicle modifications. of course, you need adequate amplifications

the biggest advantage is getting more excursion out of your midbass while not ruining vocal clarity. as a woofer moves out of the magnetic gap it loses some control - and the upper frequencies suffer most. a 3-way will usually play louder, clearer. if you have a nice underhung woofer, then it is fine as a 2-way.

after experiencing the Scion tC with Hertz MLK-165 i can say that i wouldn't change a thing. But running less expensive drivers, I prefer a 3-way to keep the speakers in ranges where they work better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.