Metered The 4-8's Today, Standard Cab Dodge

So Bobby, how are you liking the new setup compared to your old VW?

I like this setup a lot better. It's a lot cleaner and everything is hidden. People actually search to see where the subs are and everybody assumes it's a blow through. The box is oversized for the 8's, so, I can always switch to 10's and a 5K if I want to. Plus, having a 320 amp alternator is a lot better than the 95 amp one that was in the Bug. These 8's get low. Seeing the peak at 32 was pretty cool.

You’ve honestly made me want to switch to some 8’s

These are also some really good 8's that can take some power. If you want some great 8's, then take a look at these. Two of these on a 2K or four of them on a 5K would really tear things up. IMO

Screenshot_20210309-131939_Chrome.jpg

What exactly is Outlaw anyway?
Sensor by the kick panel and doors/windows may be open. As opposed to dB drag style which is still the more common standard or reference which is meter at a particular place on the windshield and all doors and windows must be sealed.

Up here our SPL classes do dB drag style and musical average classes require a door or window to be open. Some vehicles gain dramatically from door or window open, some gain little to nothing or even lose. You can build your install around gains depending where you meter and opening a door or window gains at least some in almost any vehicle.

Pickup trucks are consistently the most dramatic gains for opening a door or window on the opposite side of the sensor. Go back and meter door/window open or closed with sensor both on the dash and on the floor and report the results. Hell, just sit in there with music going while you're in the driver's seat and have the passenger open his door or window and it should be noticeably more intense on your side.

Lastly, the difference in cone area between 2 12" drivers is only 10% greater than 4 8" ones. Your outlaw score seems about right for what you have and I'd expect "legal" score would be 2-3dB down. You should not try to compare the numbers to those you'd get with the same power and cone are out of your VW bug regardless of how you meter. Pickup trucks are their own thing.

You're wondering how I knew that was "outlaw"? Because pickup trucks typically gain very big with the driver's side door or window open. I've seen several that gain as much as 4 or 5dB. Not sure about measuring at the kick, the org that meters that way doesn't support this area anymore. Really it's not like our listening position is up on the dashboard or down on the floor so the honest way to meter is probably the one that measures by the driver's side head rest.

Either way is used in various competition orgs but it is important to qualify your numbers with a disclaimer as to the method of testing so that everybody can compare apples to apples.
I know in my S10 single cab with four tens when I rolled the window down it was way better loved that system

Sensor by the kick panel and doors/windows may be open. As opposed to dB drag style which is still the more common standard or reference which is meter at a particular place on the windshield and all doors and windows must be sealed.

Up here our SPL classes do dB drag style and musical average classes require a door or window to be open. Some vehicles gain dramatically from door or window open, some gain little to nothing or even lose. You can build your install around gains depending where you meter and opening a door or window gains at least some in almost any vehicle.

Pickup trucks are consistently the most dramatic gains for opening a door or window on the opposite side of the sensor. Go back and meter door/window open or closed with sensor both on the dash and on the floor and report the results. Hell, just sit in there with music going while you're in the driver's seat and have the passenger open his door or window and it should be noticeably more intense on your side.

Lastly, the difference in cone area between 2 12" drivers is only 10% greater than 4 8" ones. Your outlaw score seems about right for what you have and I'd expect "legal" score would be 2-3dB down. You should not try to compare the numbers to those you'd get with the same power and cone are out of your VW bug regardless of how you meter. Pickup trucks are their own thing.

We will probably meter it again with the doors closed and the meter at the windshield.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.