Mercedes build

Participant count
  • Participant list

bump465

Senior VIP Member
Arizona
Well im waiting for it to warm up outside to finish up my build and im pretty excited using half of this stuff for the first time. I figured id just rant about it a little bit to kill some time.

vehicle is a 08 mercedes GL450, I love this car but it makes me hate my hobby. Best part about the vehicle is the 180 OEM alternator. Looking to upgrade alt but i cant find anyone that can do it, im still waiting on a quote for the black friday sale from excessive amperage.

Vehicle has an upgraded stock sound system, the harmon kardon logic 7 system... This setup is such a headache. The factory amp is under the drivers seat and to access it i would need to cut the carpet out from under the seat furthermore the system uses fiber optic cabling.

So for these reasons i decided to keep my factory head unit and amplifier. I have simply removed all speakers and ran the high level signals to my rockford 360.3 thank god i have a good eq because the front speakers were DVC while the back speakers were SVC making voltage levels inconsistant.

The speakers were held in with rivets and i have no idea how to remove them from the mounting mold - like literly the speakers are part of the mount... it makes no sense.

So i drilled out the mounting rivets and replaced the speakers but without the mounts my windows only go down about 90% (if this is the worst thing that happens i guess i can accept it for now.)

Well anyways heres whats going in.

SQ 3500 (v2)

2x Orion HCCA 15's (2008, grey cone)

4 CDT Gold 6.8 midbass

Zapco refrence 1000.4 (on its way) - testing with 2x hifonics centurian X

Rockford fosgate 3sixty.3 processor

370Ah of various AGM

knu 0/1 ofc

I also have 4 high range 4 inch CDT golds but it turns out my car didnt have them like i thought it did. I plan on putting these in whenever i get around to getting a mount to get my windows fully functional again.

Tweeters will be going in eventually but honestly im not big on tweets iv never really missed the sounds they bring i really dont care about hearing the symbol. Id like to get rid of these hccas one day and upgrade to something with a NEO motor. I just like the thought of more power, and more throw when im choosing speakers. not much selection was looking at IA wardens.

Well if anyone read all the way through that wall and wants to comment or recommend something - cool.

Ill put some pics up later.

Oh yeah. Working with a few more channels now. I got alot of the clutter wiring out and took out the 1000.4. I got audison lrx for all vocals now. The big one is a 6 channel surround and under it is the old lrx 300.4

Now I just need to stop running full range through my mid bass and I'll be set. XD.

For anyone who's interested the inline volt meter also measures amperage draw up to 300A. I got my vocals pulling 35A right now to my 4 mid bass speakers. Hoping to get that draw closer to 90 by the time I finish this d@mn car.

Pics.

Build Pics by dh465 | Photobucket

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.