Making a return to car audio system building! Questions...

Participant count
  • Participant list

GCAdidas13
10+ year member

heh.
Hello, I'm Brian from central Ohio..

I recently purchased a 2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback.

I need suggestions on what to do with my current equipment in my new vehicle.

Equipment:

Sound Processor: Alpine PXA-H700

Amplifiers:

- PPI PCX4125 (4 x 125 @ 4ohm)

- PPI PCX2200 (2 x 200 @ 4ohm)

- PPI PCX440 (4 x 40 @ 4ohm)

Midranges: B&C 8NDL51

Horns: ID CD2 Minibody

Subs: 2x 15" Ascendant Audio Avalanches DVC2

I have fiberglass experience

I can build sub boxes

Previous Install:

In my previous install (1997 Camry) I had the midranges in sort-of big kickpanels powered by the PCX4125, but the midrange was really ****** at 400 and 800 hz. Basically these frequencies would distort heavily at moderate volume or higher unless attenuated. I do not know if this is attributed to the midrange or the box, could be either. At this point I am highly considering getting new midranges. I do not want to install midranges to the door.

The horns were on the PCX440. They have been fine but overall very difficult to EQ as I do not have an RTA. I'm kind of considering getting a traditional tweeter but it's not something that I see likely. This will be one of those things where I install and see how it sounds first.

The subs were on the PCX2200. They were in 4.5 cubic feet, sealed, forward-facing in the front of the trunk, with MDF cut so that the baffle of the box was sealed into the cabin of the vehicle (basically a mini-wall). Overall the sound was good but not loud enough. I'm trying to decide if I should port them or just get more power to them. They will need 4.5 cubes sealed or 8-9 cubes ported and tuned low (~25-28 hz).

I haven't had a head unit in a while, either. I just run an audio signal directly to the sound processor. Normally I feed it with a Ultra-Mobile PC (UMPC) which was mounted to my dashboard but I think until I can fab something up for the Mazda dash I will be feeding it with an iPod thru the headphone jack.

Anyway, what I'm looking for by posting is:

- General comments

- Horns: Keep them? Buy new drivers? Buy new bodies? Ditch them and get tweeters?

- Midranges: Keep them and build new kicks? Ditch them and get new speakers/kicks? What do you think made the B&C's so **** at 400/800 hz?

- Subs: Keeping them. Sealed or ported? Other comments on amp/power/enclosure type.

In return for your help, I will begin a project worklog on the day I buy my car. Which should be tomorrow.

Pic of UMPC on dash (old car): http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1277/dsc00917uf4.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.