Making 6.5's Fit

Dynasty
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have an '03 Chevy Malibu with the stock 4x6 front speakers. They were fine at first, but now they have to go. I want to replace them with 6.5 speakers because of such a difference they will make.

How do I go about doing this? What mods need to be done? I will order some 4x6 into 6.5 speaker adapters, but from there what needs to be done?

Can someone walk me through the steps?

I really appreciate your time in helping me upgrade my speakers.

I going through a simlar porocess with my Mustang Vert.

I'm upgrading from 5 1/4 speaker size to 6 1/2 inch speakers in the door. [ circular sepakers ]

I will have mine professional done this weekend & let you know the process.

My speakers will need special drilling & mounting brackets becasue of the magnet size of the new speakers.

I going through a simalr porocess with my Mustang Vert.I'm upgrading from 5 1/4 speaker size to 6 1/2 inch speakers in the door. [ circular sepakers ]

I will have mine professional done this weekend & let you know the process.

Mine car will need special drilling & mounting brackets becasue of the magnet size of the new speakers.

What year mustang?

I had 5.25 in my doors orginally. All I had to do was cut alittle off the speaker mounting face and then the original grill. Used a die grinder, took 30 min. I think it varies car to car. Helps if you have a 6.5 speaker so you can measure and look at it.

You can get kicks pre-made from Q-logic:

http://www.qlogic.ws/home/home.jsp

But if you go that route, make sure to apply dynamat or similar dampening material to the inside of the panel. They're made of rather thin plastic and need the help. Also make sure that whatever speaker you're looking at will fit in the panel for your car. Oversized 6.5 inchers usually won't fit, so be mindful of that.

Other than that, you can make them yourself if you're handy with fiberglass (going this route is cheapest, but you have to know what you're doing) or you can have them made in a shop, though custom-made kicks usually cost a lot. I should warn that the hardest part of making kicks is figuring out how to aim the speaker. If a shop doesn't spend time doing that (and many don't), even if they come out really well made, they might sound like crap. Definitely look into a shop's rep (and if you can see their work, even better) before you have them make kicks for you.

Oh, as for the stock opening, you can try making a MDF baffle and hoping that'll fit. Really depends on how the speaker opening is cut and what the magnet on the speaker is like.

I'm not sure of what your current stock location looks like but I have used Masonite to make new mounting plates. You know the stuff that peg board is made out of without holes. You can get a 4x8 sheet for like 7-8 bucks. Comes in handy for a lot of different things.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.