Mag V4 Discontinued.. :(

It seems like we should be talkin about thilo in this thread about starting the super sub trend to me he seems more related to a amp advancement thread or a hometheater thread not car audio...

It seems like we should be talkin about thilo in this thread about starting the super sub trend to me he seems more related to a amp advancement thread or a hometheater thread not car audio...
No, Carver definitely was the "originator" in the modern era, however there had been prior art from like the 50s that was just never used that once he got his patent other companies used to challenge it.

If you wanted to talk about subwoofer development id talk about george from atomic, thilo from tc, nick from fi, dan wiggens from adire, and anyother subwoofer designer on here...

He designed a subwoofer system box and amp not the subwoofer its self... that's like callin peter k from pwk a revolutionary in subwoofer design.

Yea **** the tc9 prob most widly used motor, **** the 4hp prob the most succesfull spl driver, and **** the 3hp prob the best daily sql drive, o yea **** the 5400 the highest excursion cleanest sounding driver out, but **** em.

Yea **** the tc9 prob most widly used motor, **** the 4hp prob the most succesfull spl driver, and **** the 3hp prob the best daily sql drive, o yea **** the 5400 the highest excursion cleanest sounding driver out, but **** em.
Hid products were great, but he fucked over multitudes of people.

yup i use the tc9 motor... bought it while he was selling bunk subs to unfortunate customers at swapmeets.

His products werent even great. serious. Ideas were good, rest.. not so much. And above- N3F- I think (hope) you mean scott from fi, not nick
Well, there's a lot of people who absolutely love his subs, lol. Overall I do agreem too many faulty subs, too many CS issues. The LMS idea was great though and the baskets TC designed are probably still the best out there, but yes, his ideas were great than what he actually sold.

If 100 sq judges say a system sounds the best, and 100 other random people say a different stereo sounds the best... who is right?
If 100 nfl refs say "touch down", and 100 drunken fans cheering for the home team say "GET OFF YOUR KNEES REF YOU'RE BLOWING THE GAME"....who is normally right?

I'm so glad I'm done with the find my perfect sub obsession and am finally happy.

There's nothing magical about Mags. I had the v3, with the way people were talking about it here, I thought my ears were going to experience the equivalent of a deep blowjob. Especially for the outrageous W7 tier price tag. In reality, it was a decent sub, not any more impressive than the Oz Matrix Elite I had in before it (which cost me only $160 by the way). Maybe it just wasn't the right sub for my application, I wanted a sealed box sub that got low and loud, kind of like a W7. It got loud, but was extremely peaky, and did not get very low since the punchy bass was overpowering. In addition, it sounded very similar to the Oz sub and really wasn't worth the price tag. I figured, eh, maybe it's just a better ported sub. In the meantime I looked for that sub which fit my needs, I found it in the TC 12 OEM. I don't think anything in particular is better about the TC 12 compared to the Mag, except that it was designed for home audio, and therefore it was much flatter and had more extreme lows. It also had more linear excursion and similar power handling. Did I mention it cost only $200?

I gave my Mag to a friend for his birthday, who decided to try it ported. He put it in a very well built box tuned to 32 hz and fed it nice power. It wanged, but the SQ really wasn't even close to good sealed setups I've heard. In fact, no ported setup has sounded as good to me as a good sealed setup. I don't give a **** what the people here say.

All in all, just a very overrated and overhyped subwoofer there for anyone except those who want to wang in ported enclosures and care about SQ, but not an overwhelming amount.

I have a feeling the v4 suffers from the same syndrome, just very overhyped, a maybe fairly good sub, but nothing magical.

Stop thinking subs you buy from these internet companies will produce magical bass that you can't get anywhere else. It's just bass. Find a sub that has the frequency response characteristics you enjoy, along with the ability to play as loud as you like without distortion, and you'll have a winner. Very simple formula. You won't hear 90% of the ******** people talk about here. In fact, they love the Mag because you can't hear it. Claiming a sub has good SQ because you can barely hear it is like saying a luxury car is luxurious because it isn't driving over 60 mph. I think Mercedes owners would be pissed as **** if their cars didn't go 80+ when they felt like pushing it.

It's awesome to not give a **** anymore and just tell the truth as I see it. Nuthuggers will attack me from all angles, but I probably won't even remember that I wrote this rant by tomorrow.

I'm so glad I'm done with the find my perfect sub obsession and am finally happy.
There's nothing magical about Mags. I had the v3, with the way people were talking about it here, I thought my ears were going to experience the equivalent of a deep blowjob. Especially for the outrageous W7 tier price tag. In reality, it was a decent sub, not any more impressive than the Oz Matrix Elite I had in before it (which cost me only $160 by the way). Maybe it just wasn't the right sub for my application, I wanted a sealed box sub that got low and loud, kind of like a W7. It got loud, but was extremely peaky, and did not get very low since the punchy bass was overpowering. In addition, it sounded very similar to the Oz sub and really wasn't worth the price tag. I figured, eh, maybe it's just a better ported sub. In the meantime I looked for that sub which fit my needs, I found it in the TC 12 OEM. I don't think anything in particular is better about the TC 12 compared to the Mag, except that it was designed for home audio, and therefore it was much flatter and had more extreme lows. It also had more linear excursion and similar power handling. Did I mention it cost only $200?

I gave my Mag to a friend for his birthday, who decided to try it ported. He put it in a very well built box tuned to 32 hz and fed it nice power. It wanged, but the SQ really wasn't even close to good sealed setups I've heard. In fact, no ported setup has sounded as good to me as a good sealed setup. I don't give a **** what the people here say.

All in all, just a very overrated and overhyped subwoofer there for anyone except those who want to wang in ported enclosures and care about SQ, but not an overwhelming amount.

I have a feeling the v4 suffers from the same syndrome, just very overhyped, a maybe fairly good sub, but nothing magical.

Stop thinking subs you buy from these internet companies will produce magical bass that you can't get anywhere else. It's just bass. Find a sub that has the frequency response characteristics you enjoy, along with the ability to play as loud as you like without distortion, and you'll have a winner. Very simple formula. You won't hear 90% of the ******** people talk about here. In fact, they love the Mag because you can't hear it. Claiming a sub has good SQ because you can barely hear it is like saying a luxury car is luxurious because it isn't driving over 60 mph. I think Mercedes owners would be pissed as **** if their cars didn't go 80+ when they felt like pushing it.

It's awesome to not give a **** anymore and just tell the truth as I see it. Nuthuggers will attack me from all angles, but I probably won't even remember that I wrote this rant by tomorrow.
The only think I have an issue with in that post is the not hearing it thing. It isn't that you don't hear the sub, you most definitely do, the thing it that you can't identify the source of the sound as the sub, you just think it's the mids but when you turn the sub off and you have no bass, that's the effect people are describing. I equate it more to the luxur car going 150 and feeling the same as it does going 25, not feeling luxurious because you are under 60. That is how a good SQ sub should sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.