maelstrom 18...!

the 21" maelstrom requires AT LEAST 11 cubic feet according to exodus, you could fit 2 LMS drivers in that. If you have 2000w or less, hulk up and get the maelstrom. otherwise pony up the extra 100 bucks for the LMS and you'll save money by not wanting to upgrade for a little longer

Either is weak compared to the lms ultra 5400........especially for their intended purpose of HT
The Maelstrom may have more distortion than the LMS, but it will play far lower flat

not really. The 21 can displace more air than the LMS since the cone is bigger. The box will have to be alot bigger though. Plus the 5400's are ungodly expensive, unless space is a serious issue I'd use the Maelstrom. Both are going to give alot of ouptut an distortion far below audible levels.
I have owned 2 lms ultra 5400's the old went a lil lower than the new but you'll need an eq to get them to play flat to Fs,

LMS 5400 has 38 mm of linear excursion, 48+ until you hit Xmech. LMS is better in nearly everyway, smaller boxes, less distortion, larger coils, larger power handling, flatter response, stronger motor....need I go on? lol
Flatter rsponse couldnt be further from the truth homie, motor strength wise, the lms is kind low for a motor of that diameter

the 21" maelstrom requires AT LEAST 11 cubic feet according to exodus, you could fit 2 LMS drivers in that. If you have 2000w or less, hulk up and get the maelstrom. otherwise pony up the extra 100 bucks for the LMS and you'll save money by not wanting to upgrade for a little longer
For HT 11 cubes isnt really that large, people using the Re XXX 18 as HT need even more than that (over twice) to get it to shine. XBL is a joke... but huge driver, huge Xmax ftw at HT. The Soundsplinter RL-P is a better choice than the lms for HT Duty, Low Q woofers make for less than optimum performance in the HT environment.

XBL is a joke...
Really? A "joke"? If by a "joke" you mean lower natural coil inductance per the same desired stroke as other dual gap topologies, then I suppose you could say that. Or it can be perceived as a "joke" when you can lower mounting depth per the same desired stroke and reduce production driver cost due to the reduction of excess steel and magnets compared to other linear BL topologies out there. You can also mount shorting rings directly in the gap without reducing BL, etc. Man, what a crappy topology! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

The Maelstrom may have more distortion than the LMS, but it will play far lower flat

I have owned 2 lms ultra 5400's the old went a lil lower than the new but you'll need an eq to get them to play flat to Fs,

Flatter rsponse couldnt be further from the truth homie, motor strength wise, the lms is kind low for a motor of that diameter

For HT 11 cubes isnt really that large, people using the Re XXX 18 as HT need even more than that (over twice) to get it to shine. XBL is a joke... but huge driver, huge Xmax ftw at HT. The Soundsplinter RL-P is a better choice than the lms for HT Duty, Low Q woofers make for less than optimum performance in the HT environment.
I thought we were on caraudio.com ?...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

09civic

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
09civic
Melbourne, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date