Low wattage + cheap subs = good bass?

USAFbro
10+ year member

Noob
D.C
My friend asked me to pick out a reasonably priced setup for him, and he really doesn't want to get rid of the amp he has... kicker 400.1 gives out 400+ @ 2 ohms

He has a poorly built prefab sealed box with 2 JBL SVC 4ohm subs in their.... its not good lol.

My question to you all... What are some good sub options that will perform well at 400 watts @ 2 Ohms. He defiantly doesn't have the tools or skills to build a box.. ported or sealed. So where are some good places to find an acceptable one. I was thinking about recommending 1 12 ported...

Sub shouldnt be over $250

thanks

I would build a ported box for those JBL's. I used to have a low end JBL on 180 watts in a ported box and it still sounded good.
problem is.... one of em is blown. and the other is having tinsel lead issues. so hes just getting a new setup. i think the Dcon should be more than enough for him. He will be siked over the price of it.

where to get a decent ported box tho? he seriously is not going to build one so thats not an option...

problem is.... one of em is blown. and the other is having tinsel lead issues. so hes just getting a new setup. i think the Dcon should be more than enough for him. He will be siked over the price of it.
where to get a decent ported box tho? he seriously is not going to build one so thats not an option...
With the leftover funds, you may be able to get a custom one? pro-rabbit comes to mind.

If he can go to Home Depot or Lowe's, they can cut it, he jigsaws, glue and screw, then tah dah.

With the leftover funds' date=' you may be able to get a custom one? pro-rabbit comes to mind.
If he can go to Home Depot or Lowe's, they can cut it, he jigsaws, glue and screw, then tah dah.[/quote']

hm. i didnt know they would cut it. that may be an option. anyone know how much ordering a box online would cost? (approximately)

hm. i didnt know they would cut it. that may be an option. anyone know how much ordering a box online would cost? (approximately)
The majority of people here dislike and distrust prefabricated ported enclosures. Many are poorly designed or constructed.

pro-rabbit (member here) is affordable, but probably more than "prefabs".

There are many designers here that can make you a design to spec, digital model, and even a cut sheet, myself included. Though it's hard to beat "Buck's" $1 fee if price is a concern.

Sometimes you have to find the right guy at Home Depot or Lowe's. Some won't make that many cuts, as they aren't required to.

Two 12" JL w0 or the new w1 in a medium sized sealed box would sound pretty good.
Ive heard the W1's and theyre actually pretty nice ive gotta admit.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

im in nc and have an audioque 10 d4 in a slot ported box i built. Will sell it for 110. could meet up somewhere.
Il let him know. I think hes set on a 12 tho

So far choices are

SSA DCON 12"

Incriminator Audio 187 12''

AQ SD 2.5 12"

Any preferences?

Hes leaning twards the Dcon fyi...

theres always the hifonics HIFI 12. like 35 bucks new run one ported and it will be niceeee. i have a pair on 400 watts only(waiting on an amp to come in) in a box that tuned to 33hz and they are surprising. each sun sees about 1.6 cubes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.