Lost half power to subs, pls help.

Im not sure why you're talking to me like you're the car audio god and im some homeless guy wanting a taste. You do understand that not everyone has the same interest as you right? I just wanted some answers. Not some troll calling my equipment garbage looking down on me from his audiophile pedastool. It doesn't make you look as cool as you think bro. I can easily go spend $5,000 on a new system. The problem is...again....I DONT CARE. Its just some equipment I came across and used and wanted to know what was wrong with it. I dont need "car audio approval" from someone that drives a 97 Tahoe with a subpar system he probably bought with a tax return. But thanks for the advice!
So the gain being turned up all the way an using a boss deck for over a year with no problem is why my subs randomly stopped hitting as hard as they used to? So youre saying if I turn the gain back down to where it was a year ago they will hit twice as hard as they do right now?
there is a 99% chance that you literally baked the coil, on them since you are the "all knobs to the right" "crank dat sh*t up" kind of guy. Sub is fried, if you had a better amp, you would have a lot more clean power that can push your subs without clipping and burning up the coil eventually wearing it down like it did with your current amp. The biggest reason why the setup lasts soo long is because the XFL has a stout 3 inch coil that can take abuse.

FYI 2 channel amps are not meant for subs, they are for mids and highs. Or you have a monoblock and you think its a two channel because it gave you 4 speaker terminals, then no its a monoblock amp not a two channel, its internally bridged and the spare terminals is just there for ease of wiring.

the difference between a boss head unit and another head unit is monumental when it comes to getting you loud purely because of how much cleaner of a signal you get and of course a clean signal will keep you from blowing/wearing down equipment like you did in this case. Cheap out on stuff now, pay later, thats a universal rule of car audio, however i'm not saying go buy a 500 dollar head unit or 2000 dollar amp........ There's cheap 80 dollar options that will do everything you need and more with much higher quality. Same with amps as well. What you think may be loud can be even louder and your mentality about this is very poor. I know you like your equipment but you are the one with issues here.

Put it this way, Who are you to set limits on yourself on what kind of output and results you can achieve?

You say you know how to install but you dont even know what resistance/impedance is or how to properly set gains or even understand how pre-out voltage and the gain knob works. I would seriously recommend starting from scratch and educate yourself with knowledge so situations like this can be avoided. Ignorance is no excuse.

Kid talks **** about Tahoe's system but has a Boss HU...
Right....just don't see how sherwood71 can like his post after helping the guy out and all his focus was on was me bashing his 30 dollar Wal Mart HU.

It was actually a $140 deck and excuse me for not hooking up some free ****? LOL. But in all...YOU'RE WRONG. I did take it to a professional and he said you are full of yourself It was simply a bad set of RCA's, but I appreciate your "ALL KNOWING" opinion on how **** my system is because i run a deck you don't like. I knew NOTHING about a car audio system, watched maybe 5 youtube videos and built my own custom box thats not even supposed to fit in a trunk and wired it all up with a "professional look" and have many many people that can vouch my amateur system sounds better than 90% of the systems in this state. Ive been to many car shows and many competitions and heard what others are playing.

Car audio is NOT a science. You run clean wires, choose your box and placement an boom. A system. I know nothing of what you do and did it with minimum effort. But thank you for the bad advice and pure arrogant ignorance! Next time you should probably start with, "Check all the wiring" rather than OMG A BOSS HU?! HE IS OBVIOUSLY NOOB AND FRIED HIS SPEAKERS! Tool.

It was actually a $140 deck and excuse me for not hooking up some free ****? LOL. But in all...YOU'RE WRONG. I did take it to a professional and he said you are full of yourself It was simply a bad set of RCA's, but I appreciate your "ALL KNOWING" opinion on how **** my system is because i run a deck you don't like. I knew NOTHING about a car audio system, watched maybe 5 youtube videos and built my own custom box thats not even supposed to fit in a trunk and wired it all up with a "professional look" and have many many people that can vouch my amateur system sounds better than 90% of the systems in this state. Ive been to many car shows and many competitions and heard what others are playing.
Car audio is NOT a science. You run clean wires, choose your box and placement an boom. A system. I know nothing of what you do and did it with minimum effort. But thank you for the bad advice and pure arrogant ignorance! Next time you should probably start with, "Check all the wiring" rather than OMG A BOSS HU?! HE IS OBVIOUSLY NOOB AND FRIED HIS SPEAKERS! Tool.
Is this the same professional that turns your gain to 100%. I bet your head unit is on loud. And all your bass boost are up 100% as well...

You got the answers.

You use crap you get crap results.

You are obviously a professional so I’m sure you will figure it out from YouTube.

your right. The typical "formula" to car audio is something like 90% install, 10% brands. However, i wouldn't choose a boss hu or even any garbage branded name for that matter, to run the entire system. In any case, brands do matter if you want something to function longer than a month or even 6 months. I have heard and read people buying garbage brands because of it's cheap price tag then they break....
2nd time asking....where/how is the gain set on amp?
you got schooled by rookie!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

it was actually a $140 deck and excuse me for not hooking up some free ****? Lol. But in all...you're wrong. I did take it to a professional and he said you are full of yourself it was simply a bad set of rca's, but i appreciate your "all knowing" opinion on how **** my system is because i run a deck you don't like. I knew nothing about a car audio system, watched maybe 5 youtube videos and built my own custom box thats not even supposed to fit in a trunk and wired it all up with a "professional look" and have many many people that can vouch my amateur system sounds better than 90% of the systems in this state. Ive been to many car shows and many competitions and heard what others are playing.
Car audio is not a science. You run clean wires, choose your box and placement an boom. A system. I know nothing of what you do and did it with minimum effort. But thank you for the bad advice and pure arrogant ignorance! Next time you should probably start with, "check all the wiring" rather than omg a boss hu?! He is obviously noob and fried his speakers! Tool.
told you. Lol

you got both Jeff, Losisatool, Boomin tahoe, Popwarhomie and Gramps agreeing on what your problem is. There are a couple more that could chime in and theyd all say the same thing. Your gain should never be turned that high.

If youd like to see for yourself that your coils on your subs are fried, take them out, get a DMM (digital multimeter) and measure the impedance on each coil. Im betting that they wont read what theyre supposed to.

The other thing you could check is making sure that the wiring on the subs didnt come undone. This happened to a buddy of mine when a local "professional"made a sub cutout a tad too small and after about a month of bumping, one of the negative leads came off one sub, so the amp was seeing a very different load and cut the power immensely. I reattached the wire and the bump came back.

lmfaoooo RIIIIGHt you can ignore physics all you want and remain ignorant.

Sounds like your state has all garbage setups in terms of install knowledge and box building. Being louder than prefab ported boxes and fiberglassed sealed boxes is not something you should be proud of lmao. Its like taking the olympic gold as an adult vs special needs 5 year olds. If you can do an open door hair trick with your setup then that's something to be proud of. Hell, post a youtube vid, i'd like to see how "good" this setup performs output wise.

Let me just jump in here...
@FriendlyStalker, what you need to do is get a digital multi meter (or borrow one from a friend, or use a loaner at Auto Zone or similar) and hook it up to the inputs to your subs. Remove the speaker wire from the amp to the sub box, then hook up the DMM to the sub box. Set the DMM to check resistance (ask whoever you borrowed it from to set it for you). It sounds like your subs are wired to achieve ~2 ohm of impedance. If your subs are fried, you should expect to see much higher than normal impedance.

What these guys are trying to say is that you probably overheated and damaged the inductors (aka voice coils) on your subs. When the amp gain is too high, long story short, too much current can pass through your equipment and over heat it.

Maybe you did, maybe you didn't. Only way to tell is to test the subs. Also, check your fuses.

lmfaoooo RIIIIGHt you can ignore physics all you want and remain ignorant.
Sounds like your state has all garbage setups in terms of install knowledge and box building. Being louder than prefab ported boxes and fiberglassed sealed boxes is not something you should be proud of lmao. Its like taking the olympic gold as an adult vs special needs 5 year olds. If you can do an open door hair trick with your setup then that's something to be proud of. Hell, post a youtube vid, i'd like to see how "good" this setup performs output wise.
I bet you my single 15 would dust this kids setup.

You paid $140 for a BOSS deck..... Man the guy who sold you that deck for that price stretched your butt hole so wide you can fit a grapefruit in there now lol.

I will give you this, your correct you will be considered to have a system among normal people doing what you did, any idiot can hook up some gear and sound loud compared to a bunch of people running stock. The problem is your not on a board where we are all normal people impressed by low level ****, or by people who do not know how to hook up their gear to where it will work EVERYTIME.

You asked a question, people tried to help, you didn't want to listen, sorry your feelings are hurt.

Here is a synopsis of our opinions:

Your HU *****

Your Amp is not good enough for those Subs

Your Subs are Actually good

You need to learn how your equipment works and how to hook it up properly.

If your subs are not actually blown, Sell your HU, Sell Your Amp and get GOOD but inexpensive gear, and learn how it works!

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.