Looking to filter out low frequencies

Frenchy906

Michigan
Hello, I've tried searching, and I've found the calculation on how to figure out what size capacitor I need to filter out frequencies. I'm looking to filter out frequencies lower than 600hz on a set of 4ohm 4x6 speakers I have installed in my 2001 S10.

However, the result I am getting is:

6.634819E-05

What size capacitor does this refer to?

Also, I'm only pushing about 18W RMS to the speakers, they are hooked up to the head unit.

Thanks for any help.

Maybe I'm confused, but aren't you looking for some sort of band/high pass filter?
Yes, I do believe so. But rather than spending the $10 on those Bass Blocker thingamajigs, which are no more than an in-line resistor and wire, I figured I'd make my own from resistors I can buy at my local RadioShack.

Yes, I do believe so. But rather than spending the $10 on those Bass Blocker thingamajigs, which are no more than an in-line resistor and wire, I figured I'd make my own from resistors I can buy at my local RadioShack.
You plan on making your own filter? Most aftermarket stereos have a lot of those filters built in, if you'd like to go that route.

The result I am getting is:

6.634819E-05

What size capacitor does this refer to?
A 66.25uF (microfarad) capacitor will block frequencies below 600Hz on a 4 ohm speaker.

This will create a 6dB/octave (first-order) HIGH-pass filter effect with the 3dB corner at 600Hz.

There is a good chart here: Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)

And here: http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm

Use a non-polarized electrolytic capacitor of proper voltage rating (100 volts is a good choice for car audio)

(sorry, I meant high-pass, not low-pass. fixed in above paragraph)

You plan on making your own filter? Most aftermarket stereos have a lot of those filters built in, if you'd like to go that route.
My radio does have high pass filter on it.

However, I've got a set of small 4x6" speakers in the dash of my s10 I just picked up, that I don't want hardly any bass frequencies going to. Therefore, the reasoning behind wanting a 600hz high pass on those speakers.

A 66.25uF (microfarad) capacitor will block frequencies below 600Hz on a 4 ohm speaker.This will create a 6dB/octave (first-order) HIGH-pass filter effect with the 3dB corner at 600Hz.

There is a good chart here: Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)

And here: Passive Crossovers

Use a non-polarized electrolytic capacitor of proper voltage rating (100 volts is a good choice for car audio)

(sorry, I meant high-pass, not low-pass. fixed in above paragraph)
If I can't find a 66.25uF, can I run multiple capacitors together? I'm kind of new to this external crossover type stuff. And if so, would I just solder the two capacitors together? Or would I run one on each terminal of the speaker?

Please help.

Thanks,

47µf 35V 20% Axial-Lead Electrolytic Capacitor | RadioShack.com
These would give me a cutoff of over 800Hz, which I suppose for dash speakers probably wouldn't be terrible.

Would these be the right capacitors?
No. Those are polarized (DC) capacitors. For audio we want non-polarized (AC). Radio Shack doesn't have any close to the values you want.

66 uF isn't a standard value, however 33 uF is. You can put two 33uF in parallel to give you 66 uF.

33uF 100V Non-Polarized Capacitor | 027-350

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.