Looking for sub recommendations

Glaucus
10+ year member

Hey!

I need a sub to help out the bottom end. My car is a '97 Prelude, I have Focal polyglass 160 v2 in the front powered off an Alpine PDX 4.150 amp. The rears are stock and I fade the deck forwards cause the rears kinda **** and I prefer a forward sound stage anyway. In fact, the only reason the rears are even hooked up right now is because they provide some (sloppy) bass, which the Polyglass are completely lacking (in fact, I kinda regret buying the Focals, but oh well).

Anyway, to fix this I've decided to get a sub. To power this sub I want to bridge the two channels from the PDX, which will give me at least 300W RMS (the PDX was lab tested to actually output 163W per channel). Now, subs and amps need to be well matched, and I'm not so good at matching because I'm a bit of a noob in this department. A few things I do know are that I don't really want to devote too much space to the sub (read: small, single driver - or possibly two 8" drivers) and I'm NOT interested in SQL, I just want something that's very musical (SQ - sealed box). I listen to various types of music from techno to rock, so I want nice, quick & tight bass - although some nice punch/kick would be good too.

So, what do the experts think? Some brands that I was considering (mostly because I have easy access to them): Alpine (Type-R?), Diamond, Focal, JL, Coustic, Boston and Kicker. I haven't listened to any of them and have no real reference (except for a Bazooka tube that was in my car once-upon-a-time, but recently packed it in) so any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

- Mike

What type of head unit do you have?? How many watts are the focals getting rms?

You will need a Dual 2ohm or a single 4ohm sub.

Good 300W subs that have great SQ in my book are..

12W3v3 or older (12w3v2)

and

elemental designs e12K.14 (Which I have for sale!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif )

go to the link in my sig... they are testing a BUNCH o subs... search the forum... this question has been asked SOOO MANY TIMES!!!

So it seems the JL's are popular hear. Cool. I'll give them serious consideration. It's kinda tough to test out a sub at the store so this helps. Btw, the place that sells JL also sells Focal & Alpine, should I consider any of those? Oh, I just rememberd also have access to Hertz and A/D/S - no idea what their subs are like.

As for ID, I don't think so. I'll have to look into it.

Reneeb, thanks for the link, I'll follow that thread closely. Can't wait to see some results!

As for my head unit, it's an Alpine 9815. It has stereo 4v sub outs with some fairly flexible crossover controls. What else do you need to know?

- Mike

The focal v2's are really really nice sounding.

Slap a 11 or a 13in in a sealed box, and you'd be really happy.

The rms on the 13's is 400 I think? So the rms on the 11's are prolly slightly lower. My friend is running his 2 13's at 300w a piece and they WANG and sound amazing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.