Looking for "smooth" 6.5" components

I have Focal Access 6.5: best **** value I have ever heard:

they are so smooth BUT not flat:

there is a small peak in the highs: not really irritating because of the smoothness but a peak none the less.

I bet the head unit you are going to use will have more of an impact:

Alpine has a distinct curve but Eclipse has a more flat response; no telling what a factory head unit will sound like

Ok... So I did get a chance to audition the Hertz HSK 165XL components at a dealer about an hour away from here. They were definitely good quality, a bit smoother than my ARC6000s, but I don't think they are what I'm looking for. Still too bright for my taste. for one. Also, the mid-woofer was REALLY loud and overpowering and it would take a bi-amped setup to get that under control as there is only a +/-2dB tweeter adjustment on the crossover, which is practically nothing. The salesman agreed with me on this point and said it's a known issue with this model.

So the then he demoed me some Audison Voces (made by same company as Hertz). I liked those better, but still not quite the sound I have in mind.

I've talked the two closest Hertz dealers and they tell me that the Milles are *it*, but both are currently out of stock. One had a set on their demo board but it wasn't hooked up and can't be for a while as they didn't have the crossover.

But at some point both plan to have them to demo and will supposedly call me when they do (they said within a couple weeks). I realize this is pushing me up closer to the $1000 budget, but you only live once, right? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.