looking for info on the Jensen VM-8013HD Head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Greggk
10+ year member

An ARMY NCO 24/7
my wife ordered this from crutchfield for me for my little re-enlistment present from her. she just thought it looked cool and had everything we/she would want in a headunit for my conversion van. i am kinda new to most of this stuff so...questions are as follows:

1. is this a half decent headunit?

2. is there a video playback bypass? she wans to watch dvd's as we drive since the kids have the 12" dropdown monitor

3. my van has factory 6x8's all the way around.. 6 of them.. how should i wire the speakers.. 4 to the rear outputs, and 2 to the front? (yes i am replacing the speakers too with either clarion or maybe boston's)

my wife ordered this from crutchfield for me for my little re-enlistment present from her. she just thought it looked cool and had everything we/she would want in a headunit for my conversion van. i am kinda new to most of this stuff so...questions are as follows:
1. is this a half decent headunit?

2. is there a video playback bypass? she wans to watch dvd's as we drive since the kids have the 12" dropdown monitor

3. my van has factory 6x8's all the way around.. 6 of them.. how should i wire the speakers.. 4 to the rear outputs, and 2 to the front? (yes i am replacing the speakers too with either clarion or maybe boston's)
1. ehh, its alright

2. i don't know, you should check the jensen website, crutchfield or user manual

3. Outputs are for external amp, so if you have no external amps it should power all of them because of the factory wiring

you're probably end up either needing a factory integration module or two of the rears will share one output and split the power. I have a Jensen DVD HU and it works great, isn't the prettiest interface but it was pretty cheap and there isn't anything wrong with it. It has a little pink cord coming out of the back that you can just ground with your stereo harness... I hope that answered everything.

I've had pretty good luck with Jensen in dash DVD players. Dunno about that one, IMO the newer ones are not quite as good as the old ones.

I've used 2 myself and did a couple for friends and they were all an easy bypass (google is your friend) Either a switch, direct grounding the pink wire, or with a couple you can get to a hidden setup menu and just do it on the firmware. If not, most all of them should output to the aux video channel when driving just not the video on the HU....not like a 3.5" screen is worth watching while you're driving.

I'd see what your factory unit has for speaker wires (once you get the install kit). Might automatically bridge the rear channels, but that's what I'd do.

Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers has some wiring informaiton for specific vehicles. What conversion van do you have? I put a HU in my 89 B250 and had a couple spare wires after matching all wires from my old harness to the HU harness. I think it was a pink and maybe an orange IIRC. I couldn't find any information on what the pink was but I assumed it may have been for the old TV unit power on or audio input to car's speakers. If it was a ground wire, I found a new home for that. Most of the install was touching wires together and marking it off with tape and sharpie.

Conversion vans rule!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.