Looking for high xmax 10 suggestions

Oraclem19

Senior VIP Member
Doing a 10" project and looking for some serious sound, up in the few thousand watt area in a walled off enclosure. No space for 12s.

So far have found the new XXX series to have the highest displacement if I can TRY to fit a 12. Looking at about 480 ci at maximum excursion for that woofer if I read these specs correctly.

Sundown isn't coming close to that amount even with a dual 10 setup.

Suggestions? Looking to get some seriously loud sound in this thing. Likely doing a 32-34-37 hz tune.

Can't find these xxx 10s

When the new Sundown X Series & Zv.4's come out in June (hopefully) = Not many subs with higher excursion than those...
Is there any kind of confirmation on this June or just speculation? This is going in on a timelyish install

Could do with some new learn, however I do need to get a good amount of air moving for this application, and it is rare to find high xmax woofers without a high rms and a good Q to match.

Except the woofers your looking at. The XXX's have fairly low BL and if space of any considertation your SOL. Without using a box that is big enough for most companies 12's or even 15's ported, you will NOT see anywhere near xmax from those woofer ported with any amount of power those subs can handle. Those subs are really meant for HT duty in a very large box playing very low, not to be in a car playing music.

If you want loud and are low on space and going ported you want high BL, low q, high powerhandling, moderate xmax woofers. If you were doing sealed, then yeah, cone area, xmax, and having enough power/box volume ratio to hit xmax at the desired frequencies is all that is going to matter, but your not. Tuning as high as you are a XXX would be a laughable waste of money. Your tuning mid to upper 30's, your not trying to play 20hz with authority obviously, you want loud over a normal music range 30-80hz, you don't have ANY use for 50mm of xmax.

The sundown Z series is pretty overbuilt for a 10 inch driver. 3inch coil should soak up alot of power. Only issue with the sub is range i mentioned earlier of 30-80 will be more like 30-60. All the extra metal on these things do wonders for cooling, but give them terrible inducantance. You won't play over 60 with authority, but it'll be very loud for a 10 from 30-60 for sure.

DC sound labs makes good 10's too from what I remember. Anyway one of the SPL guys can probably get you a good specific suggestion, I just want to get you on the right track.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.