looking for class A/B amp

Participant count
  • Participant list
Class A or, (and to some extent), A/B amps are simpler designs which only require 2 devices, (push-pull outputs), in order to recreate both halves of the original waveform. Easiest way to explain it is the least amount of devices needed to go from input to output, the cleaner the sound. However, power-wise they are extremely inefficient, need about .5 hour warm up time from a dead start to reach full performance due to charging their huge toroidal power supplies… but they are by far the only way to fly when you’re seeking out the best.

Class D amps use a ton of internal switching devices, (which in turn degrades the original wave form) in order to achieve a very high power efficiency rating and a lower THD, (Total Harmonic Distortion), by using excessive amounts of negative feedback loop which is nothing more than recycled power which makes the amp more likely to clip.

The most popular line of crap we’ve been handed by mfg’s is the implementation of Class G amps, which can produce a ton of power, are very small, and only weigh a couple of ounces. Basically, it’s about as close to plugging your speakers directly into the AC wall outlet to achieve written power ratings.

BOTTOM LINE: Class A or A/B is as pure as it gets even though they will have a higher THD spec. Truly used for high end systems. Class D or G are amps are best suited to be used in dance clubs or PA systems whereas they’re loud as hell, and audible distortion is not really a factor in these applications.

I've seen that before somewhere, and it's a bunch of hogwash. This is written from the perspective of someone who has a huge bias against full range Class D technology without doing any actual research into the current state of the technology. The JL XD series does not use negative feedback. They filter the switching noise. Test reports on PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Welcome show the actual measured output, including THD, of many Class D amplifiers of a wide range of prices.

Here's one: Precision Power P900.4

JL XD500/3 review

Clarion XC1410

Clarion XC6410

Kicker IX500.4

All of these amplifiers, including the one you own, should be totally transparent. This means the amplifier is strictly increasing the amplitude of the music coming in without adding or taking anything away.

I've seen that before somewhere, and it's a bunch of hogwash. This is written from the perspective of someone who has a huge bias against full range Class D technology without doing any actual research into the current state of the technology. The JL XD series does not use negative feedback. They filter the switching noise. Test reports on PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Welcome show the actual measured output, including THD, of many Class D amplifiers of a wide range of prices.

Here's one: Precision Power P900.4

JL XD500/3 review

Clarion XC1410

Clarion XC6410

Kicker IX500.4

All of these amplifiers, including the one you own, should be totally transparent. This means the amplifier is strictly increasing the amplitude of the music coming in without adding or taking anything away.

Thanks but my speaker system is the reason for getting another amp in the class a/b series. I am presently running a set of the PHD FB 6.1 pro's and they are crazy expensive and hard to get. They are a company that is not well known from Italy but trust me their line of car and home stereo equipment is unsurpassed. I am also having the Mosconi 4to6 processor installed to bring everything together and this is why i am looking at the class A/B amps. The owner of the stereo shop here in Cali has told me that it would be alot nicer with that amp over the JL. By the way thank you for your service to this country of ours. I am retired USMC Gysgt.
Where at in Cali? Him telling you A/B is more efficient is a straight up lie. That's why high power amps are class D is for the efficiency. I am we'll aware of who PHD is and you won't see much of a difference. The ZED amps are really nice, but for the costs won't provide you with a noticeable difference. How did you know I am military? Thanks for your service as well. You ever in Okinawa? I was on camp foster for 2 years from 06' to 08'

thanks for the input. yes the zed audio equipment is very nice equipment and I do have my eye on a zed audio Draconia 1 that will be fairly cheap. As for the service I was in Okinawa for 6 years in Futima. Gotta love those typhoons huh,LOL?

thanks for the input. yes the zed audio equipment is very nice equipment and I do have my eye on a zed audio Draconia 1 that will be fairly cheap. As for the service I was in Okinawa for 6 years in Futima. Gotta love those typhoons huh,LOL?
With the lack of weather variation here in Cali I do miss the typhoons. I miss a good storm. I also miss the perfectly clear and warm water and sitting on the white sandy beaches and drinking a beer

The JL HD amps are used successfully in SQ competition, so you can rest assured that you can get great SQ out of them. One good example is probably Scott Buwalda's car (the owner of Hybrid Audio) that in its last iteration was powered by 5 mono block JL Audio HD amplifier. Moreover, the industry is tilting towards Class D amplifiers, so some of the best minds are developing Class D technology now. If you do want something other than Class D, take a look at SoundStream Reference. By most reviews, they're excellent amplifiers and relatively affordable. Not Class A/B, but something else related, not Class D. I also saw very good reviews of PPI PowerClass amplifiers, which are Class A/B amps (except the mono subwoofer amp).

Thanks for all of the input but I have purchased a Tru Technology S44 that i believe is going to work great. It's brand new and has never been out of the box.

There's a world class installer who absolutely insists on Class A/B amplifiers, but he also is employed by a high end shop that sells a whole list of expensive boutique brands. There can be differences heard when changing amplifiers, but so many people say it's the least influential part in the signal chain. If you think a Class A/B amplifier will make your system sound better than it does with your Class D amplifier then you will believe it sounds better, if for no other reason than to justify the expense.
I think this debate will never end. There are very knowledgeable people arguing on both ends. For example, Eric Stevens, the founder of Image Dynamics, argued recently on DIYMA that Class D amps are ok for mid-granges but not good for subwoofers due to low damping factor of a typical Class D amplifier. This actually runs contrary to the common argument we have heard before that supposedly Class D is ok for subwoofer but you may do better with something else on the highs (not to mention the current conventional thinking that the damping factor supposedly doesn't make a difference). He mentioned his next company will work on a Class D amplifier that corrects that deficiency.

I know Eric. His company did one of my cars in all Image Dynamics and I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed with the equipment because their speakers would not hold up at all. They kept breaking down fairly quickly. I even drove to the company and spent a whole day there and had to have all of the speakers replaced again and the system totally tuned up by Him only to have the very same problems. They even had problems with their amps that they installed and they wanted to replace one of myamps with one of their test amps that didn't worl aut either,lol. anyway i agree with you in that this topic is going no where because everyone has their own beliefs in whether a class "D' sounds better than a class A/B so thanks for all of your input. Besides I have already purchased a different am. It is manufactured by a company called Tru Technology and I believe that it is an exceptional amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.