looking for class A/B amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigbrother54
10+ year member

I am in the process of redoing my system. I am running the JL Audio XD 700/5 for my front staging now and am wanting to go with a really nice class A/B amp instead. I am uncertain as to what to go with so any help out there would be appreciated.

I am in the process of redoing my system. I am running the JL Audio XD 700/5 for my front staging now and am wanting to go with a really nice class A/B amp instead. I am uncertain as to what to go with so any help out there would be appreciated.
CDTs amps are all class A/B. They are also hearty, solid underrated amps. We actually have a 2 channel that is new open box for a great deal. Link is below!

CDT SQA2130 2 channel SQ amplifier - Vertex Audio

not looking for gains just a better sound. The JL is a nice amp but I have been told that I should be running a class A/B amp. the only reason I got the JL in the first place was because I needed the 5th channel for my sub. I have already gotten a seperate amp for the sub and now can go with the A/B amp.

Thank You. I was always told that a class A/B amp would perform and sound better for my front staging over a class D mono would.
It won't. Full range class D technology has come a long ways the past couple years and JL is at the front of that group. A class A/B would sound better only if you have crazy nice expensive speakers and have put 100's of ours into your build with staging and everything else. Just swapping amps though, you will not notice a change in the sound at the same power levels. As stated above, your best bet would be to implement processing. A JBL MS8 or Arc Audio PS8 or something along those lines

I do have an opurtunity to get a Zed Audio Gladius in excellent cosmetic and internal condition but know nothing about the company or the amp. any help out there?

A class A/B would sound better only if you have crazy nice expensive speakers and have put 100's of ours into your build with staging and everything else.
There's a world class installer who absolutely insists on Class A/B amplifiers, but he also is employed by a high end shop that sells a whole list of expensive boutique brands. There can be differences heard when changing amplifiers, but so many people say it's the least influential part in the signal chain. If you think a Class A/B amplifier will make your system sound better than it does with your Class D amplifier then you will believe it sounds better, if for no other reason than to justify the expense.

Thanks but my speaker system is the reason for getting another amp in the class a/b series. I am presently running a set of the PHD FB 6.1 pro's and they are crazy expensive and hard to get. They are a company that is not well known from Italy but trust me their line of car and home stereo equipment is unsurpassed. I am also having the Mosconi 4to6 processor installed to bring everything together and this is why i am looking at the class A/B amps. The owner of the stereo shop here in Cali has told me that it would be alot nicer with that amp over the JL. By the way thank you for your service to this country of ours. I am retired USMC Gysgt.

thank you but that is not the only reason I am looking into the class a/b. I have been told that it would also run alot more efficiently. now if I am being mislead than that would be on me and not me just looking for a reason to spend money. I am getting ready to try my car in the Meca competitions in 2014 and so I am trying to do the system right and if that a/b amp is what it takes to help than that is what i will do because the person that is doing all of the work is extremely good at what he does and i don't think that he would intentionally mislead me. now if he were selling me his products i could possibly see someone being a little scandolous but no reason to be when he isn't reaping any of the rewards.

The owner of the shop is telling you what he wants you to run. Class D is more efficient than A/B, so that's an outright lie. The Mosconi processor in the hands of a capable tuner will make your system sound better than ever. This is what will make your car competitive, NOT the amplifiers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.