Looking for an opinion on speakers (and ultimately amp combo).

Participant count
  • Participant list

thesethguy

So, to say the least, it's been about 7 years since I've touched or even thought about aftermarket car audio.

It's time to install a nice system though, and I'm undecided on speakers.

To start, I hope to use an old amp I have been keeping in storage (tested and still works). It's an Infinity Reference 7540a, approx 110w RMS per channel.

I want to hook it up to 6.5's all around or 6.5's + 6x9 rear (all 2-ways). My budget is roughly $200-$300 for the speakers themselves, and I'll be getting a monoblock amp and sub outside of that budget. The goal is SQ.

At the moment, I have picked out either the Focal CVX line of speakers or the Infinity Kappa's. They are only slightly different in price $110-$150 (SonicElectronix) and from what I've read on these forums, quite a few people highly recommend Focal. So I'm leaning towards Focal at the moment, but if anyone has an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

My other question is, will the speakers be able to adequately handle the ~110w that the Infinity puts out, or would they have a difficult time? Would it be wise to look into other amp options?

Thanks!

Seth

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, yeah... those are definitely out of my price range. I wish I could get those though.
What is your max budget for upfront components?Rearfill/6x9?JBL make some very nice speakers,as well as Polk for the money

Most massive comp sets are decent from what I've heard.
The high end models are nice/fair, but the lowerend are not worth the money, as I have tried both, and was not pleased with them at all..Ive tried several different brands of components, and ended with CDT.Image Dynamics are a great set for the money

Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs (CTX 65 CS) 6.5" CTX Component Speakers

I dont recommend Massive

What is your max budget for upfront components?Rearfill/6x9?JBL make some very nice speakers,as well as Polk for the money
If it would be more practical to just skip the rear stage and only get a front stage component set, then I could work with it up to $300.

If it would be more practical to just skip the rear stage and only get a front stage component set, then I could work with it up to $300.
front stage would be where I suggest to spend the most amount of money on,and get the best you can for your money,and not so much on the rearfill,as it may overwhelm the front stage,even with the substage running at the same time.Even though, I do recommend rearfill for Imaging,as I run myself in an xcab chevy,at low volume,and amped,it does make a big difference in my opinion, and I do recommend having,at least a midrage level of sound,to give you that over all surround imaging

front stage would be where I suggest to spend the most amount of money on,and get the best you can for your money,and not so much on the rearfill,as it may overwhelm the front stage,even with the substage running at the same time.Even though, I do recommend rearfill for Imaging,as I run myself in an xcab chevy,at low volume,and amped,it does make a big difference in my opinion, and I do recommend having,at least a midrage level of sound,to give you that over all surround imaging
Interesting, thank you.

Now if I do decide to go the coaxial route (because I'm not too sure the wife will want me mounting tweeters up front) do you have any suggestions? I'm afraid to put too much rms to each speaker if they're rated around 60-80w. Does it really matter if it's a quality speaker?

Interesting, thank you.
Now if I do decide to go the coaxial route (because I'm not too sure the wife will want me mounting tweeters up front) do you have any suggestions? I'm afraid to put too much rms to each speaker if they're rated around 60-80w. Does it really matter if it's a quality speaker?
I highly recommend component for running up front, as you generally can find better selection of speakers,as well as power handiling,and sound quality as well,as imaging

you can always do the cdt cl 61 cv ,its a convertible component set that can be mounted like a coaxial .
I have the CL-60 series, and they sound amazing..Anything that CDT make, sound excellent..not from word of mouth, but from experiencing,and these that mr mylows suggest, give you two options, to run as a coaxial, and component set

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.