Looking for advice on system build

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello everyone I am a new member sctravis. I own a 08 Lincoln MKZ and my current set up I installed is 4 gauge wire from batt. into distribution block (4ga in & 2-8ga out)the factory head unit (with nav and bt), nvx xfloc4 line output converter, pioneer gm-d8604 amp pushing 4 alpine spr 68s installed in doors. My question is soon I will be upgrading my low end sound and was looking for advice on a awesome sub and amp. I am currently considering 1 alpine swr1542d sub in a ported enclosure and a kicker zx750.1 amp to push it. Looking to spend around 400.00 bucks and I listen to all kinds of music so not looking to blow out windows but I am looking for clarity, power and that thump from the sub when I want it. All advice is appreciated and thanks for looking.

sctravis

thanks for the reply. the reason I chose wire size was my current pioneer amp recommended 8 ga wire to amp along with most amps I had been researching but I do have more 4 ga wire and another inline 80a fuse. I am not stuck on 1- 15 and have thought about 12s but seems you get a lower range in a 15. the 12s I was checking out was kicker L5 12s but then I gotta spend more on a bridgeable amp instead of a decent monoblock. What is your suggestion on wire, amp and speakers? thanks in advance

Well known manufacturer to whom? To the layperson or to someone who designs and builds audio systems professionally or who competes?

I have no idea what Jason offered you but chances are, it's less expensive than the stuff you're looking at and chances are greater that it's better gear as well. Mainstream equipment, whether we're talking car audio, fishing or RC car racing, is more often than not inferior to that made by niche companies in the specific industry. That's not to say that everything you listed is junk but it is to say that "well known" means nothing. In today's world it only takes a few minutes to research a brand and find out if those who own it are happy or unhappy with their purchase and you've gone to the trouble of joining a group who runs non mainstream gear so you are already in the perfect place to do just that and find yourself some actual high quality audio gear.

As for getting lower response from a 15... not true. I can make 6" subs hit 20Hz notes with authority. Likewise, I can make an 18" sub play up to 120Hz with tight and clear response. And either can do both if they're in the correct enclosure. Specific to your choices, two 12s would easily do better than one equivalent 15 because two

12s is ~175in² of cone area vs ~130in² for one 15. Not to mention, with two subs you double power handling capability and motor force.

Also, you do not need a multi channel amp to run multiple subwoofers. Nor do you need a bridgeable amp to run at a specific impedance.

Thanks bbel. I wasn't trash talking any specific product just trying to convey what it is I am looking for. In my area there isn't a lot of car audio shops. therefore I can only go with what I know from what past friends have used and some of my own research. Hence me on a forum looking for more advice. Thanks for your input and I will continue to be open to any and all suggestions...keep em' coming.

I didn't suspect you were talking bad about anything and frankly, I wouldn't care if you were. Talking trash on something doesn't diminish the quality of the product, it just demonstrates the lack of quality of the trash talker. ;-)

My post was meant solely to offer you some food for thought and to clear up some misinformation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.