Looking for advice on a new car system

squanto

NoVA
Hi everyone!

I've been in the audio game for a number of years, however I haven't kept up on car audio stuff as much.

I currently have a 2014 Subaru BRZ (small sports car) I am looking to upgrade the system in.

Here is some background:

1. I want to keep the factory head unit for FM / Sirius Radio

2. I will use a Nexus 7 with a DAC for music

3. Currently the car has a factory 6.5" 3-way component system in the doors / dash

4. It also has 4.5" speakers in the rear

5. Trunk space is limited

Here is what I'm thinking:

1. Replace the components

2. Get a high-level converter / DSP that will support inputs from the factory HU and Nexus

3. Don't use the 4.5" rear speakers

4. Put one 10" sub in a custom case (sealed) in to start, maybe add a second if I want more bass

I want a system that sounds clean, well balanced, "loud" for listening to in the car (not some crazy competition-grade setup), and has good low-end

Initially I was going to go with go-to / name brands I've known from the past (kicker / rockford fosgate), however I then stumbled upon this forum where folks were recommending brands that were recommended as just-as-good, but not name brands which give you more bang for the buck.

Here are some of the things I'm looking at:

1. AudioControl LC8i DSP for converting high level from factory HU and supporting Nexus input

2. Precision Power P65c3 3 way components

3. Not sure what to do in terms of amps...Here are the options I'm considering:

a. 4 channel amp, bridge rear to drive sub(s) - concern is I won't be able to find an amp with enough power / flexibility to support a second sub if I want to add it
b. 5 channel amp, bridge 4 channels to 2 to drive components, use 5th channel for sub(s) - again there seem to be a slew of options, not sure if this will give me the power I need and if it is really "better" than other options
c. Get a 2 or 4 channel and a mono amp - Bridge the 4 channel to drive components, get a mono amp that is 1ohm stable. Get a sub that is 2 ohms and if I get a second, wire in parallel for 1ohm
4. Not sure where I want to go with the sub...I was originally thinking Rockford Fosgate Prime P3D4 but I'm not 100% sold on that

5. Will I need a capacitor? I'm thinking probably.

So I'm looking for thoughts on:

1. The AudioControl LC8i - good idea or not?

2. PPI components - good or other better options?

3. Amp help

4. Sub ideas

Current Status:

MS-8 Purchased instead of LC8i
Note: I'm perfectly open to buy used stuff from reputable folks (on here or locally)

I just looked over craigslist and saw the following things currently available:

Alpine SWR-1042D 10" Type-R subwoofer MSRP $250 : Asking $75/obo

Tsunami 2 Farad capacitor (brand new) MSRP $100 : Asking $60/obo

JL Audio e4300 4 channel amp - $150

Lanzar OPTI 1000.1D $100/each

1 x 400W @ 4 ohms

1 x 700W @ 2 ohms

1 x 1000W @ 1 ohm

Lanzar Opti-100.2 $75

50w x 2 @ 4 ohm

90w x 2 @ 2 ohm

Kicker ZX350.4 Amp - $100

Alpine MRP-M2000 Subwoofer Amplifier & Tsunami 10 Farad Capacitor - $300

Rockford Fosgate 55.2 Amp - $30

Rockford Fosgate Punch 100x2 Amp - $50

Any thoughts or inputs are appreciated. Hopefully the components I've mentioned in my "ideas" can give folks an idea of my budget. I'm flexible. I'm open to suggestions from folks selling things on here, as long as others have good things to say about the product :). I'm guessing under $1000 for the stuff listed unless folks make a compelling argument.

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes on Alpine type R 10, no on capacitor you wont meed it as it would do more harm than good. For processor get a jbl ms8, a 2, or 4 channel amp and a mono block, and a nice 2 way component set, properly treat/deaden doors. Oh and the box id recoomend going custom ported.

Up your budget a tad more and you can get real nice sound heres a ball park

Alpine type R 10":$100

Ms8 processor: $500

Component set:$250

Amps:$300

Box:$200

Wiring kit$100

Deadener to treat door$100.

This is all new though if you buy used the proce gets cut almost in half.

That JBL seems to be a LOT more than the audiocontrol...is it really worth it?Given the limited trunk space I am looking at the following custom sealed box (though I agree ported would be better, I just don't have the space)...

FRS / BRZ / GT 86 10" Passenger Side Integrity Enclosure - Integrity Concepts
You said processor the lc8i isnt a processor its just a line out converter. The ms8 will alone improve your factory system because its a processor and you can fine tune an aftermarket system very nice. Its well worth the money and they go for $350 used on here and ebay. Its definately worth the momey. And $300 for that box? Hell no. Your better off with a normal $20 square sealed enclosure. Its a 10 so sealed its a tiny box. Wont take up much room. And you do have space for ported. A 10 doest. Need to big of a box. Use an aero port to save space. Hit up CSCStang on here he can get you a mice custom box for alot cheaper than that prefab one for $300.

How does the JBL compare to the Audison Bit10 D for a processor?

I'll take some trunk measurements and post them shortly.

I've got a bid on a MS-8 on Ebay...

Is 350 for a refurb a good deal?

THANKS!

Actually, NVM on that. The guy accepted my offer for 320, so I now got the MS-8 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i just don't understand guys like you, buy a tuner car and want to mod it but only half way but spend more than if you were to just do it right from the get go. seriously replace the head unit, it's going to be cheaper and easier to put a system in there. as for products, go for whatever is your liking. i'll say kicker b/c I am currently running there KS speaker and KX amps but the forums will tell you their junk and you should buy Sundown everything b/c they add 6db for the sticker on the cone.

Haha...Thanks.

I may end up doing the head unit when some there are android HU's that are a little better featured. For now, I will be running most of my music off the Nexus. Since I got the external DAC that runs RCA out, it *should* be providing a good lineout signal to the equipment. Thanks for the input on kicker stuff.

you didnt get the bespoke audio option? if not good job saved yourself some money there.

that was a nice find on that ms-8 good job on that aswell. with the ms8 you can keep your factory radio but the new pioneer NEX 4100-8100 are optimized for android auto. nice little headunits.

how much do we have left for your budget?

I would look at an Arc Audio KS 900.6 amp to power everything. It is an extremely flexible 6-channel amp and will save you space and cash (won't have to purchase a sub amp). However, Arc Audio discontinued them last month in favor of their XDi 1200.6. The KS 900.6 retailed for $879 but I got mine used on Ebay for $300. Very clean, extremely dynamic power. The KS is an AB amp, while the XDi is a class D amp. And the XDi is more powerful with a smaller footprint. But, with the XDi being newer, you may not find one used so easily on Ebay...or elsewhere.

For front stage, I would recommend Hertz HSK 165XL. They are two-way components, not three-way, but I'd bet they would be an improvement over the Precision Power P65c3 3 way components. If you have to go three-way, then there is the Hertz HSK 163. Personally, I got the ESK 165L.5 two-way components because I could get them for $200 less than the HSK's. If I had the money, I would have the HSK's.

For a sub, I don't think you can do better than Sundown.

you don't have a measuring tape? whats the top to bottom and opening measurements?
Yeah I do. Click on the last link. It's a diagram with the trunk measurements...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.