Looking for advice: 3 way 6.5 speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hondaman
10+ year member

I am about to put the Pioneer DEH 80PRS deck in to go with a small amp to power my Infiniti Kappas.

I see a lot of quality 2 ways that I could put in the front, but I wanted to know what are some quality 3 way coaxial speakers out there for my simple setup.

I am about to put the Pioneer DEH 80PRS deck in to go with a small amp to power my Infiniti Kappas.
I see a lot of quality 2 ways that I could put in the front, but I wanted to know what are some quality 3 way coaxial speakers out there for my simple setup.
None. Put the 2 ways in the rear and get components

None. Put the 2 ways in the rear and get components
I have some 6X9s in the rear. I'd just assume take the 2 ways out altogether. Any suggestions on some good components? I have an 03 Civic, so I need to see which ones would fit.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

by not doing a good 3-way active system your wasting that h/u .
What is a '3-way active system'? I plan on having an amp.

What you need is a slim mount components set. 2 1/4- 2

1/2 mounting depth. I do have some recommendations but id need a budget to narrow it down a bit. 6x9 in the rear is fine. Just run them on deck power

What you need is a slim mount components set. 2 1/4- 21/2 mounting depth. I do have some recommendations but id need a budget to narrow it down a bit. 6x9 in the rear is fine. Just run them on deck power
Is what you're recommending, the 3 way active system that big scott was talking about?

Also - a buddy of mine was saying I should run my amp on the 6X9s and the HU on the front speakers. It sounds like you're suggesting doing the opposite? I'm okay with that, but I would like to understand why.

As far as budget, I don't know how much they cost. Would you be okay with given me your top suggestions and let me check the price? Otherwise I would just be throwing out a ballpark figure, like $200 (because I never bought expensive speakers)

Is what you're recommending, the 3 way active system that big scott was talking about?
Also - a buddy of mine was saying I should run my amp on the 6X9s and the HU on the front speakers. It sounds like you're suggesting doing the opposite? I'm okay with that, but I would like to understand why.

As far as budget, I don't know how much they cost. Would you be okay with given me your top suggestions and let me check the price? Otherwise I would just be throwing out a ballpark figure, like $200 (because I never bought expensive speakers)
First off your buddy is an idiot. Don't listen to him. Concentrate more on the front stage than the rear stage. So a decent or good set of components in the doors 2.5" mounting depth or less. 6x9s in the rear deck powered from the deck. Then add a sub when ready if you want decent. You'll be looking at $300 for new that are slim mount. You'll also need to deaden your doors to get the better performance from any door speaker set so that's another $50-$100 for material If you don't do this. It won't matter how much you spend on components or speakers. None will give you any mid bass response and they'll most likely sound horrible

First off your buddy is an idiot. Don't listen to him. Concentrate more on the front stage than the rear stage. So a decent or good set of components in the doors 2.5" mounting depth or less. 6x9s in the rear deck powered from the deck. Then add a sub when ready if you want decent. You'll be looking at $300 for new that are slim mount. You'll also need to deaden your doors to get the better performance from any door speaker set so that's another $50-$100 for material If you don't do this. It won't matter how much you spend on components or speakers. None will give you any mid bass response and they'll most likely sound horrible
Will the slim mount components fit my car? Just to be clear, my car has a 6 1/2 application, not 6 3/4. Does a custom install permit for me to use 6 3/4?

Also, I will check the thread for your recommendations.

Will the slim mount components fit my car? Just to be clear, my car has a 6 1/2 application, not 6 3/4. Does a custom install permit for me to use 6 3/4?Also, I will check the thread for your recommendations.
Either way is fine. 6.5 will be fine

You sit in the front, you want a concert in front of you not behind you. At the front you can have it on axis firing straight into your ears for optimal sound. There's a whole soundstage aspect to everything too. When you do get your components, use double sided tape to mount and test the tweeters in different positions to see which way sounds best then commit to installing it in that proper position. Components are worlds apart from coaxials. Having the sound overpowering from behind is a recipe for horrible sound quality.

Around 200, you have jbl ms62, jbl pb660c image dynamics ctx 6.5c

When people say to run 3-way active it usually means tweeters, mids, and a subwoofer powered by a separate amplifier or two. To do this you'd have to disconnect the rear speakers, unless 80PRS can use all the RCA outputs and still run the internal amplifier. I would not count on that to give you good sound if it's possible.

Another way to do this is to use 6x9 subwoofers instead of a box in the trunk. For most people this is not enough bass, but it's another suggestion for you.

You sit in the front, you want a concert in front of you not behind you. At the front you can have it on axis firing straight into your ears for optimal sound. There's a whole soundstage aspect to everything too. When you do get your components, use double sided tape to mount and test the tweeters in different positions to see which way sounds best then commit to installing it in that proper position. Components are worlds apart from coaxials. Having the sound overpowering from behind is a recipe for horrible sound quality.
Around 200, you have jbl ms62, jbl pb660c image dynamics ctx 6.5c
Thanks. A couple of questions.

1. The first one comes up as part of a Marine series. I've seen marine products, but naturally skipped over them because I am buying for a car. This may go without saying, but I assume buying marine is okay for a car since I am buying the product for the size.

2. I assume that 2nd link is for the JBLP660C

3. I was really hoping to find some 3 ways. Wouldn't that be preferable to 2 ways?

I did some looking and I ran across some 3 ways that seem to be nice. Tell me what you think of the JL Audio C5-653.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.