Looking for a little more with limited space.

inteva6184

Senior VIP Member
pa
Hey guys awhile back you helped me choose a sub setup for my 11 f-150 supercrew. I went with two sundown sa-8 v3's in a ported box. I forget exact dimensions but I think its a touch under 1.5 cube. I am pretty happy with the sq and almost happy with the output but its not quite there. To get it where I like to listen I am really pushing the speakers and to be honest I want more. With the space I have I could fit a 2.5 cube box before port or speaker displacement. And the largest drivers I could squeeze in are 10's. So is adding one or two more sa-8's a good option or would the gains not be worth it. I guess my other option would be switch to 10's or other models. So what do you think I should do or am I more or less stuck with the output I have do to my size restraints?

IMG_20170929_185706941_zpsyxpkac6y.jpg'%20alt='IMG_20170929_185706941_zpsyxpkac6y.jpg'>

Hey guys awhile back you helped me choose a sub setup for my 11 f-150 supercrew. I went with two sundown sa-8 v3's in a ported box. I forget exact dimensions but I think its a touch under 1.5 cube. I am pretty happy with the sq and almost happy with the output but its not quite there. To get it where I like to listen I am really pushing the speakers and to be honest I want more. With the space I have I could fit a 2.5 cube box before port or speaker displacement. And the largest drivers I could squeeze in are 10's. So is adding one or two more sa-8's a good option or would the gains not be worth it. I guess my other option would be switch to 10's or other models. So what do you think I should do or am I more or less stuck with the output I have do to my size restraints?
IMG_20170929_185706941_zpsyxpkac6y.jpg'%20alt='IMG_20170929_185706941_zpsyxpkac6y.jpg'>
idk what amp u have but yeah 2 10's be louder so would 2 more 8's if u have the space.. u may have mounting depth problems if not u can look at the new f8l on ssa site pretty bad a*s 8 $199 i think, don't know that it's a sq sub though..

May need more power. What amp are you using? Not much space under there. Is 1.5 before or after displacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry I forgot to mention I have a CAB amp and I 100% dont need more power for those speakers. Ive scoped it so I know its clean but I can have the dust caps pretty darn warm in half a song and at id still like a little more volume and I would like to bump it for a few songs at a time. Whatever the box size it it perfect for the sa-8 v3s I cant remember the exact internal dimension now but yet it was figured out with port and speaker displacement.

If I can do 4 8s that should hammer.
Agreed. Double up on subs or don't bother.

8's seem right for that application.

What impedance are you running now? Can your amp wire down to drive 2 more subs or will you need to get all new subs?

Agreed. Double up on subs or don't bother.
8's seem right for that application.

What impedance are you running now? Can your amp wire down to drive 2 more subs or will you need to get all new subs?
Unfortunately I am dual 4 ohm so I am wired at 1 ohm right now. I could chance running at .5 as I have seen people say theyve had no problem with decent electric. I am just not sure what my best bet is. My other fear is that instead of running the v3's on .75 of volume each one will be seeing about .5 so will the lack in box volume cancel out the more woofer and more wattage?

Unfortunately I am dual 4 ohm so I am wired at 1 ohm right now. I could chance running at .5 as I have seen people say theyve had no problem with decent electric. I am just not sure what my best bet is. My other fear is that instead of running the v3's on .75 of volume each one will be seeing about .5 so will the lack in box volume cancel out the more woofer and more wattage?
Yeah, if you wanted to go .5 ohm don't do it with that CAB amp.... I'd say don't do it at all, but if you must, get an amp that's built a little stouter to handle such torturous loads. Or try to find an amp that'll run 2 ohm. Not sure if there are Brazilians that do 3K into 2 ohm but that may be a decent option for space savings and driving 4 of the subs you have.

Also I assumed you were implying making the box a bit bigger. I don't know if just trying to cram in more cone area will really help you at this point. Possibly a third sub would squeeze a little more power out of your amp and help keep things from getting hot so quickly? I've never played with those Sundown 8s so can't comment on where their sweet spot is for box volume.

Yeah, if you wanted to go .5 ohm don't do it with that CAB amp.... I'd say don't do it at all, but if you must, get an amp that's built a little stouter to handle such torturous loads. Or try to find an amp that'll run 2 ohm. Not sure if there are Brazilians that do 3K into 2 ohm but that may be a decent option for space savings and driving 4 of the subs you have.
Also I assumed you were implying making the box a bit bigger. I don't know if just trying to cram in more cone area will really help you at this point. Possibly a third sub would squeeze a little more power out of your amp and help keep things from getting hot so quickly? I've never played with those Sundown 8s so can't comment on where their sweet spot is for box volume.
I do plan on making a bigger box but the maximum size I could make it would be 2.5 before port or subs. So right about .5 per sub.

Ive heard such mixed reviews on the cab. It seems like some say they love it and beat the crap out of it others say its garbage. I will say I decided to go over my system again this morning check everything out and rescope it. Turns out without changing anything it was clipping so maybe that accounts for the warm woofers. I am wondering if a big amp is the way to start.

mixed reviews.
Meaning they probably make about rated power and most people don't get a dud that fails too quickly. I doubt you'll find reviews of guys who get out of their Incriminator 10.1 or Sundown 1500 for one and are amazed.

For every day music at moderate levels you won't notice the difference but when you need to push things to the limits it really pays to stick with high quality.

I raised my seat up 3" and placed two heavy tens under the seat of the truck in my sig before I decided to rip the seat out ,and worked pretty well.Aero port

I think Bandit might have the right idea. I think I may give more power a try. Not sure what amp to get but I would like one that makes enough power on 2 ohms for all 4 speakers. I found a ct sound thats been refurbished that makes tons of power for 400 but I am a little skeptical because of the board issues they had. What do you guys think?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.