Looking for a good shallow double-din

Participant count
  • Participant list

TS1997

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sweden
Hello!

I have a 1999 BMW E39 that I want to upgrade the audio system in and am currently trying to find a head unit with the functionality I'm after but that has proven more difficult then I first thought as the car requires a pretty shallow double din or a double din screen with a single din body on the top as the airbox is in the way on the bottom.

The functionality I'm after is Spotify, Google Maps, to take phone calls, have a reverse camera and the ability to play lossless audio through a USB. I'd prefer to be able to do all these things either by having Spotify and Google Maps directly on the device and take phone calls through Bluetooth or do everything through Apple CarPlay as I have an iPhone but then I'd prefer support for wireless CarPlay. The problem is that I haven't found any head unit that supports all these things while being shallow. Another important thing is that I want the head unit to feel as fast and responsive as my phone and nor be laggy lika a lot of cheaper units.

I'm now wondering if there are any head units that support all these thing? If not, what's the closest I can get and which functions do I have to go without? It is possible to fit a full size head unit with some modding which I might consider if no better options exist. If I go that route, which is the best head unit out there at the moment?

If there is a possibility to build something that meets all these requirements that's an option as well as I'm quite experienced in the IT-department.

As for a budget I haven't set any since this seems a bit hard to accomplish but I'd like to stay bellow $1000 if possible but all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

I have a 1999 BMW E39 that I want to upgrade the audio system in and am currently trying to find a head unit with the functionality I'm after but that has proven more difficult then I first thought as the car requires a pretty shallow double din or a double din screen with a single din body on the top as the airbox is in the way on the bottom.

The functionality I'm after is Spotify, Google Maps, to take phone calls, have a reverse camera and the ability to play lossless audio through a USB. I'd prefer to be able to do all these things either by having Spotify and Google Maps directly on the device and take phone calls through Bluetooth or do everything through Apple CarPlay as I have an iPhone but then I'd prefer support for wireless CarPlay. The problem is that I haven't found any head unit that supports all these things while being shallow. Another important thing is that I want the head unit to feel as fast and responsive as my phone and nor be laggy lika a lot of cheaper units.

I'm now wondering if there are any head units that support all these thing? If not, what's the closest I can get and which functions do I have to go without? It is possible to fit a full size head unit with some modding which I might consider if no better options exist. If I go that route, which is the best head unit out there at the moment?

If there is a possibility to build something that meets all these requirements that's an option as well as I'm quite experienced in the IT-department.

As for a budget I haven't set any since this seems a bit hard to accomplish but I'd like to stay bellow $1000 if possible but all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILXW650/Alpine-iLX-W650.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.