Looking for a good mix of sq and spl

I was really looking at 2 image dynamics idq 12s. I think I could spend the extra $60 to get two. How would 2 idq 12s sound compared to 4 8s? I can get 4 8s for $60 cheaper. Honestly I want it to hit lows pretty good but still maintain a decent sound. I heard a hdcs10 and didn't sound bad at all too me. Got down pretty hard too.
This. IDQ 12s are some of my favorite all time subs, regardless of price. Get a pair and be done. These produce way more than "decent" sound. Some of the best sounding bass you will hear when set up properly. You don't necessarily have to spend the extra $60 if you ask the right person.

This. IDQ 12s are some of my favorite all time subs, regardless of price. Get a pair and be done. These produce way more than "decent" sound. Some of the best sounding bass you will hear when set up properly. You don't necessarily have to spend the extra $60 if you ask the right person.
How do they sound down low? Comparable to type rs?

How do they sound down low? Comparable to type rs?
My wife had Type Rs for quite a while and they can slam pretty good down low. The IDQs are on par with the low-end of a Type R, but the IDQs just sound better...not as thick or bloated. More natural.
Very weak and lifeless
LOL. Apparently you don't have much experience with the IDQ 12s. And if you do, they obviously weren't in the ideal enclosure. I ran a pair (sealed) for 5+ years and they were anything but "dull and lifeless" and I'm a fairly discriminating listener. They are notorious for great response from 20-80hz and mine were flat to nearly 25hz and -3db @ 20hz with no EQ; measured with an iMM6 and Audiotool. More importantly they sound absolutely beautiful...very articulate with zero boominess, and again, a very natural sound to them. They're SQ subs and they do it very well. There is no arguing that; too many good reviews from ACTUAL users including myself. If you want even more low end, port them. Problem solved. I prefer them sealed...plenty of output to keep up with my XS69, running active with 450w rms (JL 450/4).

I drive a 1998 cobra, would it be able to take the 2000w rms the subs will be pulling from it AND amped component/coaxial door speakers?

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Or would I need a bigger battery and alternator.

Good for you. I think they are crap.Saying they are on par with a R is saying they are crap down low.

And add to the FACT they are owned by powerbass...
Kinda have to agree, IDQs dont sound good at all from every setup ive heard and even i ran an idq 10 sealed as well. No one was satisfied with the way they sounded and quickly swapped subs and were much happier. Its personal preference but seriously, id run a used w6 over an idq anyday. I dont like the type R but it did sound better than my idq slightly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.