Looking for a good Double Din?

hey guys i also have a question ive already had the alpine iva-w505 but it got stolen, and now im thinking of buying a 15'' juggernaut running about 2000 watts, and im new to car audio and a local shop told me the alpine 2v was minimum, and recommended i get the jvc 810 cause of its 5v, im looking for my system to have good SQ but also to hit really hard. so 1. would the headunit make much of a difference either way between the alpine or JVC making the jugg hit? and also of the 2 regarding audio what would u choose? or what other HU would u recommend? if price isnt an issue? and i dont care much for BT or navigation either way is fine

haha sunrise nice im in jupiter. theres a bunch of ppl from florida on here. but really thats great i was thinking of getting the imprint. but are u sure of that? if not how would i be able to find out? cause if it is then im definately getting the w505 again

IMO, people worry waaaaaaay too much about the 2v vs 4v or 5v output. Last time I checked most amps had a gain knob so you can properly match the amp to the head unit anyway. If you know what you're doing, it shouldn't be a concern at all, and you're not going to notice any SQ difference by going with a 2v unit.

I have the 505/701/Blackbird combo, and that will give you 4v out and the Bluetooth through the Blackbird is incredible. When I hop in my truck, my iPhone syncs up in about 3 seconds, showing my phone book, missed calls, dialed calls, received calls, caller ID, etc. It sounds great and everyone can hear me fine.

If you've got the coin, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I believe that using a HU that has a higher voltage preouts can be important depending on your amps. I have a Clarion DVD and its screen and Ipod is very user friendly and clear but I have to turn my amps gain pretty high to get enough power to my power hungry comps. But the Carion was only $550 vs much more!

I believe that using a HU that has a higher voltage preouts can be important depending on your amps. I have a Clarion DVD and its screen and Ipod is very user friendly and clear but I have to turn my amps gain pretty high to get enough power to my power hungry comps. But the Carion was only $550 vs much more!

There is nothing wrong with turning your gain up higher if that's what's needed and you are doing it correctly to match the input/output level (not as a voume knob).

On the flip side of your scenario, the higher voltage can actually pose a problem for some older amps. For example, when using my PPI Audio Art amps with a 4v out from the processor, I had to crank the gain all the way down, and still the final output voltage from the amps was a tad bit higher than it needed to be. It worked fine, but that could have been an even bigger problem with some of those head units out there that boast an 8v output.

Is it better to start with 4v out from the head unit vs a 2v out? Sure, a little better. But it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I certainly would never base my decision off of that when comparing head units to purchase. Just my $.02.

Very well said. I based my Hu decision on price and quality. I could afford $550 and Clarion HU are above average. Maybe not the best, but they get the job done and are reliable.

Very well said. I based my Hu decision on price and quality.
Yep. Another big one for me is the user interface. I've always been a fan of Kenwood quality and the looks of the units themselves, but to me the Alpine interface is much, much easier to use. I feel like a newb whenever I start fooling with my girlfriend's Kenwood, and I end up going to the manual, which is lengthy and complicated as well.

Alpine just seems so straightforward and logical, but that may just be because I'm really used to it.

I had a Clarion many years ago that I liked a lot, but one day it swallowed a CD and wouldn't let it out. I'm not experienced with any of their new stuff, but it sounds like you got a good price on a quality double din.

That is funny you said that a Clarion Hu ate your Cd. Back in the late 80's when i didnt have much money I saved and saved and saved until I could buy an Alpine Cd player. Guess what? It ate a CD within 3 months!!! I was so dissappointed! hahaha

haha i know im just knew to the whole audio deal, and a guy at the local shop told me that the volt output made a huge difference in the sound. so if im running a DD9515 with 2000watts, does it rle matter wether i get the Alpine iva-w505 or the JVC KW-AVX810J? the alpine has 2v, and the JVC has 5v.... and does the voltage even make any difference in your sound, like does it make it sound clearer, or hit harder? or does it just make it easier on ur amp and thats it?

ya i had a conversation with one of the members of the DD tech staff and he said he would easily pick the 2v alpine w505 over the 5v JVC 810. which deffinately helped, cause i was partial to the w505 considering ive already had it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.