Looking for a Cheap Oscilloscope

Participant count
  • Participant list

Firewalker

CarAudio.com VIP
nowhere
As the title says looking for a cheap one. Just one that will help with amplifier settings nothing more. Saw this one as it is the cheapest one around. Cheaper the better as it won't be used for anything else.

i can just imagine the accuracy with that price tag....best audio tool is your own ears....i use a DD-1 only to find HU clipping, everything else down the chain is set by ear.....i have never blown anything in 20+ years...

Last edited:
Yeah that was what I was concerned about as well...the accuracy,lol. It would be nice to have one, I can go up quite a bit more but the cheaper the better in my situation. When I finally get around to installing the silverflutes, the alpine tweeters, the kicker components in the rear with the 2nd 4 channel amp. I want to make sure the gains are set correctly from the get go.

So if anyone has any other options feel free to suggest them!

Actually I looked at that one as well and is in the price range I can afford once November comes around and I get a little back each month. Looked like it would do the job.

Actually I looked at that one as well and is in the price range I can afford once November comes around and I get a little back each month. Looked like it would do the job.
Don't concern yourself too much with accuracy on oscilloscopes particularly for audio. All you're looking for is if it's clipping and that's clear whether it's 1% off or not. Oscilloscopes don't offer better accuracy than similar-priced multimeters anyways. The important metric you're looking for in audio is having enough plot points on the display and samples for any given audible frequency to clearly see a clip. Even the cheap ones will allow you to zoom in on it, but if there's not enough samples it'll be hidden. A general rule of thumb is that the sampling rate should be at least twice the frequency you want to measure to get an accurate idea for the waveform. Only the absolute trashiest ones ever won't be able to sample beyond audio signals.

I would just ask yourself if you ever want to do anything more with it. If you don't then the products mentioned so far have all been good for the bare minimum, even the dd-1 although it's not a scope. If you do want it to do more then get something like a baseline Rigol, BK precision, Siglent, or Agilent used on ebay.. Those will extend into fixing circuit boards and digital logic with ease, they're significantly more expensive, but you won't have to buy it twice in that case.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.