looking for a box design for 1 12'' with serious lows..

Participant count
  • Participant list
I am considering making 2 boxes one for each 12'' woofer for my basement. I am using a Peavy 1200 watt rms amp and they sound decent. I think once their in a new box they will sound better. I need a box that will put out serious lows.
The woofer is this :

ROCKFORD RFP4208 INSTALLATION & OPERATION MANUAL Pdf Download.

thanks for any input...
If you are splitting them up, make sure you play around with positioning so you dont have cancellation going on.

manual recommends a 2.5 cubic feet box, this would be good for them 2.5 tuned to 28hz good for rap music and movies

25cubes28hz3375sqin6ex.png

This one is 2.5 tuned to 32hz for regular music and still decent on movies.

25cubes32hz3125sqin0zp.png

nice!!! Your comment on positioning concerns me ...what do you mean>? Also, should I use nails? Some say use glue only, no nails or screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are splitting them up, make sure you play around with positioning so you dont have cancellation going on.
manual recommends a 2.5 cubic feet box, this would be good for them 2.5 tuned to 28hz good for rap music and movies

25cubes28hz3375sqin6ex.png

This one is 2.5 tuned to 32hz for regular music and still decent on movies.

25cubes32hz3125sqin0zp.png
Any idea if the 36'' top box can be made with a single 4 x 8 sheet? Im trying to puzzle it out and it doesnt seem like it unless theres a puzzle piece that I dont see.

nice!!! Your comment on positioning concerns me ...what do you mean>? Also, should I use nails? Some say use glue only, no nails or screws.
Well its simple, in a house, you'd want the sub in a corner, not in the middle of the room with two subs you want to try out all the corners, opposing corners, etc.. just play around and see where it sounds best. You can youtube up how to place multiple subs in a room and see what you might get.

With the enclosure you do not use nails, you have to use screws along with glue. Make sure you add adequate bracing to make the enclosure sturdy.

Any idea if the 36'' top box can be made with a single 4 x 8 sheet? Im trying to puzzle it out and it doesnt seem like it unless theres a puzzle piece that I dont see.
you have 48 inches by 96 inches

make your cuts like a bar graph, combine side cuts and combine port cuts. total will take up 84.5 of the 96 inches and each cut will have plenty of room to spare with the 48 the other way. here's a quick mockup

GAVgffV.png
[/img]

Thanks Jeff, you've been a great help! Ill send pics once its completed. I should be starting on it this weekend.

If your cuts are near perfect and fit like a puzzle, you can use high quality screws, with 3/4 mdf you must counter sink pre-drill then put your screws in. Then on the inside put a nice layer of silicone. I do this so if I ever need to modify anything I peel off the silicone on the inside and then I take my screws out (the top part should peel out no problem when you pry the top of the box off, then the rest of the silicone you pick off). No leaking air and tight as anything. For the complete builds I have done, I did a screw every 2 inches or 1 1/2 inches might be over kill not sure lol. Or just use Liquid Nail, and a Brad Nailer.

How about placing 2 woofers in a box and holding that low bass in the lower 20's, any design for that? I am just thinking less work and materials....

What about a print for a 2 speaker box? Something that gets really low bass. Also, any cons to using a 2 speaker box vs 2 individual boxes?
2 can cover more area giving you that surround feel. 1 will have it very strong where you position it. i'll see what i can whip up.

I actually have 3 12''s but they are 400 wTt rms each and the amp is a peavy c800 which is 400 wAtts rms each also , I believe. I'm sure it has more peak power , should I place all 3 woofer on the amp ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.