Looking for 15" Sub for ~3.8cubes Ported ~25Hz < 1,000watts......

I'd go with this sub for low frequencies. The box recommended is home theater, in a car environment with cabin gain that will change. They like low tuning and retain musicality as well.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um15-22-15-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-514
Thanks for the recommendation! Do you have experience with this sub in a car environment? I like it but the relatively low Qms, low BL and low Vd make me think it won't have the motor force to move enough air in a smaller enclosure to have decent output at lower frequencies. That is all speculation, though, so if someone has real world experience with this driver I would love to hear it!

Only problem is that Dayton recommends 6 cubes for those. Then under that it says optimum enclosure 11.1 cubes! I've yet to think of a new sub that would fit all three of your needs.

Only problem is that Dayton recommends 6 cubes for those. Then under that it says optimum enclosure 11.1 cubes! I've yet to think of a new sub that would fit all three of your needs.
Yes, that is what I am worried about with the Dayton. I do not have an optimal size enclosure for it and its T/S parameters lead me to believe if the enclosure is smaller it won't have the force to hit the low notes....

Maybe my ask is too great. It seems that to get the low end with my relatively small box it will take 1500+ watts to achieve. But at that point I am spending more money than I wanted to upgrading the electrical......if I do up the power, the Sundown X looks like a nice option......

Yes, that is what I am worried about with the Dayton. I do not have an optimal size enclosure for it and its T/S parameters lead me to believe if the enclosure is smaller it won't have the force to hit the low notes....
Maybe my ask is too great. It seems that to get the low end with my relatively small box it will take 1500+ watts to achieve. But at that point I am spending more money than I wanted to upgrading the electrical......if I do up the power, the Sundown X looks like a nice option......
The X is going to be more than $300 tho.

as stated those recommendations are for home theater for movies and low end extension design not car+ music design. In the car they prefer 3.5 cubes to 4.5 cubes tuned to mid to high 20s to low 30s more. not 6 to 11 cubes tuned to 20hz... You dont use home recommendations for a car environment and vice versa. A car designed enclosure doesnt work well at all in home theater.

@5\.3bowtie, i found this post on another forum...

"I e-mailed Matt at Dayton Audio this morning. He said the 18" ultimax is built loosely around car audio applications and will work best in 3cu.ft. sealed."

I would definitely contact Dayton and see what they say. May be just what you're looking for. Unless you want to hunt for an older RE XXX, Adire Brahma, AA Avalanche, etc.

[quote name='Jeffdachef']as stated those recommendations are for home theater for movies and low end extension design not car+ music design. In the car they prefer 3.5 cubes to 4.5 cubes tuned to mid to high 20s to low 30s more. not 6 to 11 cubes tuned to 20hz... You dont use home recommendations for a car environment and vice versa. A car designed enclosure doesnt work well at all in home theater.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Slo_Ride']@5\.3bowtie, i found this post on another forum...

"I e-mailed Matt at Dayton Audio this morning. He said the 18" ultimax is built loosely around car audio applications and will work best in 3cu.ft. sealed."

I would definitely contact Dayton and see what they say. May be just what you're looking for. Unless you want to hunt for an older RE XXX, Adire Brahma, AA Avalanche, etc.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks guys! I did find an Adire Brahma local but no luck getting in contact with the seller and then a few days later the add was removed.....

An old RE XXX would be nice, I would prefer to run something "different" anyways and have always liked "old school" sub/amp combos. I will keep on the lookout.....

Thoughts on AB HD 15? Aside from the 1500w power rating, which is a bit higher than I wanted, everything else tends to lean towards good low end. Anyone have personal experience running this driver? What kind of ported box does it like? Didn't see any recommendations on their website.....

The FU Audio 750-15 or 1250-15 work great in 3.25 cu.ft. net tuned at 25-26 hz ....And the 750-15 really works well around the 1-1.2k power level .
Hey thanks for the input! I have looked at the Fu 750 as well but am a bit concerned about the high Qts and low Qms. The Vd is relatively low as well. Do you have experience with it in the box you mentioned? The output was good at lower frequencies?

Thanks for your help!

Hey thanks for the input! I have looked at the Fu 750 as well but am a bit concerned about the high Qts and low Qms. The Vd is relatively low as well. Do you have experience with it in the box you mentioned? The output was good at lower frequencies?
Thanks for your help!
Yes, I have almost 2 yrs experience with those subs in a few different enclosures, on a few different amps ...They actually respond the best in 3.2 - 3.5 Cu.ft. net - tuned between 24-29 hz. I've had them on between 500 - 2400 rms each .... You can find my videos on Youtube, and see them playing down into the teens easily. #Boominburban ...

not even close to the same drivers.
I agree! All I have to go on is the parameters of each though so I would like to hear from some people that have run either or both for real world experience.....

From a review of the parameters it appears both have similar displacement volume capabilities with the AB having a significantly weaker motor. However, that doesn't really tell me the strengths of each which is why I need some input from those that have run them. Thanks!

Got a line on a version 1 X for $250 local. Good deal? Seems like the version 1 may actually suit me better than the version 2 what do you guys think?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.