Lithium Titanate (LTO) battery bank build.

I looked a little deeper and the claims from companies do say those cycle numbers are at 100% DOD which is strange to me because I've never seen a cell last that long in the real world. They're still leaving out the charge/discharge standard used during those cycles
Dig a little deeper, I've found them for various LTO and LiFePO4 cells and they're generally rated at 20% of the max C rating.   Perfect world numbers obviously.  Of course if you don't drive every day or don't cycle them that's in your favor too and ideally we size them that we're not running them at 10C outside of a couple dozen competitions per year.

Dig a little deeper, I've found them for various LTO and LiFePO4 cells and they're generally rated at 20% of the max C rating.   Perfect world numbers obviously.  Of course if you don't drive every day or don't cycle them that's in your favor too and ideally we size them that we're not running them at 10C outside of a couple dozen competitions per year.
It could be that I was working with low grade cells also. Even if real world we get 50% of the manufacturers claimed numbers that's fantastic. I wish more of this marketing would be standardized and talk about average DOD during testing and preferred charge/discharge that gave those numbers as well as temperature ideal resting charge/ storage charge etc

How does the rest of the vehicle's electronics like that?  Or do you pull a terminal at 5S?   Why not up it to 18V ?  
I'm running a 1993 Suburban w/ 5.7L TBI. Seems it could care less if I'm charging at 15.6 ish. I've already swapped to LED headlights, so that isn't even an issue. I'm running Taramps, so I'm limited to 16v for now.

It could be that I was working with low grade cells also.
You're dealing with different chemistry cells hopefully if you're doing drones.  Even the e-bicycle guys are mostly scoffing at the high weight and size of LTO and even LiFePO4, can't imagine the weight of these is worth the tradeoff for applications where size and weight are critical.

I'm running a 1993 Suburban w/ 5.7L TBI. Seems it could care less if I'm charging at 15.6 ish. I've already swapped to LED headlights, so that isn't even an issue. I'm running Taramps, so I'm limited to 16v for now. 
Makes sense.   If I'm going to externally regulate I'm going for 18, which might happen if I have the time.  I do have another 6 cells unused just in case.   Stephen said his amps won't like >15V so I'm not going to push my luck there.   I don't know what we'll do in my brother's car.  We'll have to see how high it charges with whatever is in there and see if he thinks it's worth externally regulating.

Going to try to get these in tomorrow if I can get someone to help.   Not exactly sure what I'm going to do to box them in so might just be something quick and ugly.

Umm.....so after reading all that it sounds like the best thing to do is run either 5s or 6s and 3p for 120ah bank and keep the cells charged  at nominal voltage. I won't  have any this variable regulated. Rather, just have a volt meter hooked up to bank to just keep track of banks voltage. 

So what your saying is my stock 120amp alternator should only charge up to a possible 14.8 volts max? So with 6s in cells it won't  hurt the bank seeing that voltage? Probly won't  hurt even having 5s in my vehicle as I  have a xs power d3400 agm under hood and this bank will be in trunk on amp rack. Please correct if I'm  wrong. So I  think the most this bank would see is 14.4v as that is the most I  have seen my agm see. 

You mentioned you have half of funds tied up in busbars and hardware. You went with copper busbars (expensive). Why not 6061 aluminum bars? What type of hardware? I was thinking all stainless steel.  Order my busbars from  remmington undustries. Super cheap.

I am wanting to order some cells. What would you recommend?

You're dealing with different chemistry cells hopefully if you're doing drones.  Even the e-bicycle guys are mostly scoffing at the high weight and size of LTO and even LiFePO4, can't imagine the weight of these is worth the tradeoff for applications where size and weight are critical.

Makes sense.   If I'm going to externally regulate I'm going for 18, which might happen if I have the time.  I do have another 6 cells unused just in case.   Stephen said his amps won't like >15V so I'm not going to push my luck there.   I don't know what we'll do in my brother's car.  We'll have to see how high it charges with whatever is in there and see if he thinks it's worth externally regulating.

Going to try to get these in tomorrow if I can get someone to help.   Not exactly sure what I'm going to do to box them in so might just be something quick and ugly.
Why not put them in an ammo can if they can fit? 

You have taramps? Do u like those? I was going to start with the 3.5k taramps I  think it was. Just got nervous with how finicky the brazilian amps are. Then I  was youtubeing and ran across bid d wiz review on wolfram audio a old school Korean board and saw they were on sale and so picked up thw wolfram 3k rms for 359$. Thought it was a steal myself. Lol now have there a/b 4 channel as well.

I am using Alterairnano cells. A 3.5ah military cell. Rated for 50c+ discharge, and a 50c charge rate. I have three 35ah batteries I have built to date.(for the Suburban) I built about a dozen others, with similar 11ah cells. I have one more 35ah battery pack to build, but I don't really need it now. So I am holding off until after World Finals.

View attachment 1595

View attachment 1596

View attachment 1597

View attachment 1598
question. Why don't  they make single cells in higher voltages such as 6v/12v etc? Wouldn't  it make more sense to have less cells in series and more in parallel for more ah and less cells altogether. 

To my understanding wouldn't  6s3p still only be 120ah of juice. So in that case the other parallel  packs are doing nothing to provide more juice? Is that correct? Or does each parallel bank have 120ah of continuous discharge but u can't  add them together? It's  confusing. It seems to me that other five parralel groups are wasted. 

Last edited by a moderator:
question. Why don't  they make single cells in higher voltages such as 6v/12v etc? Wouldn't  it make more sense to have less cells in series and more in parallel for more ah and less cells altogether. 

To my understanding wouldn't  6s3p still only be 120ah of juice. So in that case the other parallel  packs are doing nothing to provide more juice? Is that correct? Or does each parallel bank have 120ah of continuous discharge but u can't  add them together? It's  confusing. It seems to me that other five parralel groups are wasted. 
In the case of 6s3p you pretty much have 3-6cell 40ah batteries which are wired in series to increase the voltage to typical 12v automotive levels. You then wire the sets in parallel to combine the 3 40amp hour batts into essentially 1 big 120amp hour batt..

It's the same way when using super capacitors. 

In the case of 6s3p you pretty much have 3-6cell 40ah batteries which are wired in series to increase the voltage to typical 12v automotive levels. You then wire the sets in parallel to combine the 3 40amp hour batts into essentially 1 big 120amp hour batt..

It's the same way when using super capacitors. 
I  understand that. Wouldn't  it make more sense to have less cells in series to reach nominal voltage desired (12-16v)?

For example either 5s or 6s now each cell being 40ah would be 3 in parallel to reach 120ah. You would need 5 or 6 groups in parallel. Now to me it seems like a bunch of wasted cells as you cannot add each parallel group  toether to reach more ah. 

Would it not make more sense to have just 1s or 2s that would reach desired voltage as stated above ( if they made 6v/12v cells) be less in series and be able to have less cells in series and parallel and in terms save money and space. 

Why are they not made like that?

It seems to me there would be way more pro's in less cells used to make battery bank. Less things to go bad. Only downfall is if one went bad system would drop a large amount of voltage.

.so after reading all that it sounds like the best thing to do is run either 5s or 6s and 3p for 120ah bank and keep the cells charged  at nominal voltage.
The only way I'd consider 5S is if you were running, say, my Jeep stock which only charges at 13.6-13.8.   Most vehicles will probably attempt to charge over 14.5 at lease occasionally which will be bad for them.  Stick to 6s.   I expect 120AH would be rock solid for 5K (more on that later).

You mentioned you have half of funds tied up in busbars and hardware. You went with copper busbars (expensive). Why not 6061 aluminum bars? What type of hardware? I was thinking all stainless steel. 
So 1/8X4" copper bar was like 210-220 per 12 foot section after shipping.  Barely even considered aluminum.  By the time you get thick enough to get around the inferior ampacity you're almost the same price as copper anyway and why cheap out?  I called up Storm, they seem to do mostly custom bus bars, talked to their tech, decided on copper... no regrets.   Nuts and washers were just whatever from Fastenal but still 75 pieces per bank plus some 1/4 20s to bold ring terminals, used 2 hardened drill bits 1/2" plus the 1/4" one, took some life off my step bit, bought a big tube of dielectric grease and some cutting oil, sawzall blade, and one of those sanding flap discs for my angle grinder.   All in probably 600$ in consumables and hardware to do these two banks.   The point being whatever you do, you'll need to either buy bussing solution (there's a couple existing ones that were less cost effective) and you'll need to buy other odds and ends before all said and done.

Why not put them in an ammo can if they can fit? 
For one, we definitely need something non conductive, and we want these to be snug in the box and the box very securely fastened to the vehicle.... also need to figure out a way to easily connect wire in and out.    I wound up using 2x3s since I have a pile of them I got for free.

You have taramps? Do u like those? I was going to start with the 3.5k taramps I  think it was. 
I've run a couple Stetsom.... had great luck with Brazilian myself but they are considered time bombs and lots of shops won't repair them.  I'd consider buying one on ebay/amazon with 3rd party warranty, otherwise I'd be hesitant still.

Why don't  they make single cells in higher voltages
That's the limitations of the battery chemistry.  Way beyond my pay grade, but that's why these LTOs are 2.7V and the LiFePO4 are 3.5..... this lower cell voltage is considered one of the downsizes of the technology.  Same as super caps, something about the technology only allows for low voltage. 

To my understanding wouldn't  6s3p still only be 120ah of juice.
Series gives you voltage parallel gives you reserve (amp hours).   Each S adds 2.3V nominal, each P gives you 40AH (of these cells I'm using anyway, but you get the idea).

It seems to me there would be way more pro's in less cells used to make battery bank.
Yes.  That's one of the big things that pushed me into these 40AH cells over the smaller A123 LiFePO4 cells I was shopping out before.   I believe they could probably make these bigger still as far as reserve (AH rating) but probably will never make LTO greater than 2.3V nominal.  That's likely a hard limit based on their chemistry.

The only way I'd consider 5S is if you were running, say, my Jeep stock which only charges at 13.6-13.8.   Most vehicles will probably attempt to charge over 14.5 at lease occasionally which will be bad for them.  Stick to 6s.   I expect 120AH would be rock solid for 5K (more on that later).

So 1/8X4" copper bar was like 210-220 per 12 foot section after shipping.  Barely even considered aluminum.  By the time you get thick enough to get around the inferior ampacity you're almost the same price as copper anyway and why cheap out?  I called up Storm, they seem to do mostly custom bus bars, talked to their tech, decided on copper... no regrets.   Nuts and washers were just whatever from Fastenal but still 75 pieces per bank plus some 1/4 20s to bold ring terminals, used 2 hardened drill bits 1/2" plus the 1/4" one, took some life off my step bit, bought a big tube of dielectric grease and some cutting oil, sawzall blade, and one of those sanding flap discs for my angle grinder.   All in probably 600$ in consumables and hardware to do these two banks.   The point being whatever you do, you'll need to either buy bussing solution (there's a couple existing ones that were less cost effective) and you'll need to buy other odds and ends before all said and done.

For one, we definitely need something non conductive, and we want these to be snug in the box and the box very securely fastened to the vehicle.... also need to figure out a way to easily connect wire in and out.    I wound up using 2x3s since I have a pile of them I got for free.

I've run a couple Stetsom.... had great luck with Brazilian myself but they are considered time bombs and lots of shops won't repair them.  I'd consider buying one on ebay/amazon with 3rd party warranty, otherwise I'd be hesitant still.

That's the limitations of the battery chemistry.  Way beyond my pay grade, but that's why these LTOs are 2.7V and the LiFePO4 are 3.5..... this lower cell voltage is considered one of the downsizes of the technology.  Same as super caps, something about the technology only allows for low voltage. 

Series gives you voltage parallel gives you reserve (amp hours).   Each S adds 2.3V nominal, each P gives you 40AH (of these cells I'm using anyway, but you get the idea).

Yes.  That's one of the big things that pushed me into these 40AH cells over the smaller A123 LiFePO4 cells I was shopping out before.   I believe they could probably make these bigger still as far as reserve (AH rating) but probably will never make LTO greater than 2.3V nominal.  That's likely a hard limit based on their chemistry.
Okay. Thank you for all the info. I am ready to start my diy build. Good tp know about the voltage on the cells and why they can't  be bigger. 

I'm  guessing Imma go with 18 cells or maybe 12. Not sure. I think 80ah should be enough for my 5k. Just  trying to cut cost where I  can. 

What would you recommend where to buy cells from at a decent price and also where should I get the chargers for these at a decent price? So no bms on these kinda scary. Should I  look into one and if so which one? Saw some on alibaba.

So, with a little help from another forum member I got these in this afternoon.  Use the 2X3s to box them in for now since I've got a pile of them and it worked out pretty easy.  I'll probably try to do something a bit more streamlined later once I try to mount the second amp but for now my existing amp board just screws on top of this covering up the terminal ends nicely. 

Under the hood battery had to go.  LTO bank will rest as high as I can charge them and I don't need a 12.8V battery ******* the life out of them.  Good riddance.  Used a scrap of a house log plus a bit of ply to hold these terminals together under the hood to cover alt, system power etc.  Also I never had wire running all the way back in this Jeep since originally I was just running AGM behind the front seats in front of the wall.  Those batteries are gone (need to clean up the baffle now... that part used to be covered).   Used a couple more of my leftover distro blocks there to take power to the back... this also leaves me +12 and ground up front for an inverter or anything else I want to mess with.  I'll probably cover those up with something to avoid chance of shorts.

So the moment of truth.   It was slow going getting the voltage up at idle.  Banks were resting 13.4 when I assembled them.   After I hit 14.0 I put the spurs to 'em and couldn't get voltage to dip below 13.8.   Charged up to 14.4 and took a little ride to really get on things.   Played to the point of stinky subs some pretty hard songs and couldn't get more than .2V drop.   I must say I'm incredibly impressed with these cells so far.   I'll continue to update when I get the bank in my brother's car (with stock alternator) and when I get my second amp in.   I could drop my voltage down very quickly before down to 12.0 in about 2 hard songs down to 12.8 on burps, previous bank was 3X 110AH an 5X 55ah AGMs.  

I'd totally recommend LTO batteries for all and I would also recommend dealing with Jerry Wan at Shenzhen Baiguan Battery Co., Ltd

Start to finish he was very helpful, wrote very good English, and was fast with replies and updates on order status.  

I was on the fence about trying to order more for resale but I absolutely do not have time around my business and another little side project I have going on.  I may at some point still but I totally won't have time this year for anything.

Trying to upload a quick video, I'll drop the link later if I succeed (my internet is slow as dirt.

I really can't say enough good about the initial testing of the cells.   I'll try to get the Jeep out a few times this week and really hammer on things and keep updating.

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

Okay. Thank you for all the info. I am ready to start my diy build. Good tp know about the voltage on the cells and why they can't  be bigger. 

I'm  guessing Imma go with 18 cells or maybe 12. Not sure. I think 80ah should be enough for my 5k. Just  trying to cut cost where I  can. 

What would you recommend where to buy cells from at a decent price and also where should I get the chargers for these at a decent price? So no bms on these kinda scary. Should I  look into one and if so which one? Saw some on alibaba. 
I've posted the name of the company I bought from.  I would totally recommend them.  Not sure if they have a large minimum order though?  Perhaps try to get a group-buy together?  I got a couple lower per-cell quote but those companies seemed a little dubious.   I'd vouch for the guys I dealt with anyway, I'm very pleased with product and service.

For the size and cost I'd suggest going "overkill" with 18 cells.  Your voltage will barely budge with a 5K amp on there and you're running things way below anywhere where you'd stress anything.   Honestly you could get away with 12 I suspect but for the price of overkill here you're still under the cost of a "just getting by" AGM bank!

"Charger" is your alternator!  This isn't a solar bank or Tesla car where you plug it into the wall til it's topped off then go out and run it dry, then repeat.  If you think you can find something that will manage this real-time, at the current draw you need for even 5K good luck.  IMO best you could hope for is just to monitor each individual cell voltage so you can quickly remove and replace if something goes out of spec.  My plan was to just pull all the cells once or twice a year and check each individually to make sure they all rest at the same voltage.   Anyway, I did a little digging into that, you MUST find something that's meant for 2.3V nominal cells (possibly things built for supercapacitors will work).   I'm just taking my chances, but if anybody finds a good montioring solution please update here.

Anybody doing LTO now is trailblazing so there is some risk.   I did do a fair bit of the work for you guys already finding a legit seller on Alibaba.  As far as cycle life only time will tell, but I'm only getting 2-3 years out of AGM and I don't think people expect a lot more out of LiFePO4.

I did a ton more research after my comment and it turns out that there are many people who work with electric bikes who state that manufacturing is vital for longevity of LTO cells and that could be a big reason why I have a more negative view of them. I have worked with LiFePo4 but not LTO (yet, anyway).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.