Line Drivers.....

A 2V preout often means your amp gains need to be set high. If you can't get full power out of your amps or if you hear hiss during quiet passages a line driver mounted close to the HU can help. Otherwise, it's an extra gadget you don't need.

They make a world of difference. Your amps run cooler and get more power at a lower gain. I would stick with audiocontrol products if you are going with a crossover or line driver. I forgot to mention it cleans up the signal as well.

A 2V preout often means your amp gains need to be set high. If you can't get full power out of your amps or if you hear hiss during quiet passages a line driver mounted close to the HU can help. Otherwise, it's an extra gadget you don't need.
yeah.. or he could always go with an EQ like you.

They make a world of difference. Your amps run cooler and get more power at a lower gain. I would stick with audiocontrol products if you are going with a crossover or line driver. I forgot to mention it cleans up the signal as well.
na im not wanting a crossover or anything. just a a pure line driver. and why does HAVE to audiocontrol

2volts is fine for almost all new amps a line driver will only help if your running lots of amps
oh i figured they help your amp not to work as hard, which would in a way help voltage and stuff. i was curious because we were testing my friends setup before finals last weekend and he has a jl audio line driver installed. we tested with it hooked up and with out it hooked up and the line driver gained 1.5db

oh i figured they help your amp not to work as hard, which would in a way help voltage and stuff. i was curious because we were testing my friends setup before finals last weekend and he has a jl audio line driver installed. we tested with it hooked up and with out it hooked up and the line driver gained 1.5db
He gain because I bet he didn't set the gain after it was installed and he was clipping the hell out of the amp.

I never said it HAS to be audiocontrol , just a personal preference.
oh ok i see. but my whole point is i read that people dont really gain anything from line drivers. im just thinking because i have my gain set by dmm right now. its set decently high not sure how far exactly. but i figure adding a line drive to bring the pre-out up alittle would let me come down on the gain and the amp wouldnt work as hard to make power, which would also in theory make my voltage drop a tab better. would that be correct theory?

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

He gain because I bet he didn't set the gain after it was installed and he was clipping the hell out of the amp.
no we reset it. we aint that slow lol

also perhaps i may have been off on the 1.5db gain. it was last weekend, but i know it was ATLEAST a .8 to 1db gain

You just answered your own question.... headroom is a good thing.

You just answered your own question.... headroom is a good thing.
yea i guess i did. but just from reading and searching alot of ppl say they are pointless. but that was my theory tho. putting those in order they did made since to me even tho ppls say other wise. **raising pre-outs = decrease in amp gain making amp work less to make power = a tad better voltage(due to amp not working as hard)**

is this theory even remotely correct?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.