Limitations with cold temps?

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
I would imagine there is a certain amount of common sense with this one, but wanted to know what the consensus is on cold temps and what we can do with our systems. I'm definitely not going to crank up the system right when I get in the truck when it's zero degrees out. I wait until the interior warms up a bit, and the system has been running a while....the thought being a little movement for a while will be ok while it's still cold. Thoughts?

You probably cant go wrong that way. When you are getting cabin heat and you are warmed up then the engine and sound system should be okay. Just remember the transmission, suspension, tires etc are not yet.

extreme cold is certainly something to consider when wanting to listen to music. everything is stiffer and more brittle. when amps and motors heat up they can condense (extract water from the air). The wind chill is supposed to be -35 deg F. tomorrow, and i'll likely leave the system off if the car sits outside. my car usually lives in an insulated garage (heated when temps drop below 10 deg F).

over the past 25 years i've seen many failures due to cold temperatures (northern midwest).

The best way that i have found is turn the volume up past clipping to warm the subs up faster!

But seriously i just let the car idle and warm up for about 5-10 min and just play regular music on a medium volume while it warms up.

I'll tell ya one cold weather limitation! LETHAL ICE!!

Yep! A thin layer of barely solid ice which liquefies under foot pressure and instantly becomes VERY slippery!! :-(

Put the kibosh on my out of house experiences today! :-(

John Kuthe...

extreme cold is certainly something to consider when wanting to listen to music. everything is stiffer and more brittle. when amps and motors heat up they can condense (extract water from the air). The wind chill is supposed to be -35 deg F. tomorrow, and i'll likely leave the system off if the car sits outside. my car usually lives in an insulated garage (heated when temps drop below 10 deg F).
over the past 25 years i've seen many failures due to cold temperatures (northern midwest).
-35 WTF ? its like 35 here in calif today and I am cold !! I cant even imagine !

-35 WTF ? its like 35 here in calif today and I am cold !! I cant even imagine !
yea, we call it the "polar vortex" which brings air from the artic down into the midwest. has happened several times over the past few years. an hour north of us will have -40 deg to -45 deg wind chills tomorrow.

Wind Chill Advisory in effect for areas south and east of the Quad Cities through 7am Sunday.Wind Chill Warning in effect for areas north and west of the Quad Cities through 7am Sunday.

All eyes are on the weather this Saturday evening as snow, wind, and dangerous cold are all likely.

First, the snowfall. 1-3 inches of snow is likely this evening. Due to cold temperatures, the snow will be very fluffy which will cause it to blow around. Winds will increase as the evening goes on, with some wind gusts above 30 mph possible. This will cause near white-out conditions in open areas. In addition, some drifting snow is also likely where the wind is able to blow across roadways.

Winter Weather Advisories are in effect for all areas this evening. Wind Chill Advisories are in effect for the overnight with Wind Chill Warnings in place for areas north and west of the Quad Cities. Wind Chill Values could exceed -35 in spots! At that time, skin freezes in just 10 minutes. If you must venture out, wear multiple layers, have a fully-charged cell phone, and tell someone when you’re heading out and where-to.

This is dangerous stuff! Your life could depend on the actions you take before you venture out. It’s best to just stay in this evening and overnight.

-Meteorologist Eric Sorensen

yea, we call it the "polar vortex" which brings air from the artic down into the midwest. has happened several times over the past few years. an hour north of us will have -40 deg to -45 deg wind chills tomorrow.
I was lucky, I planned for today off anyway. I just could not safely get out because of ice and no salt. But tomorrow I HAVE to get out, I'm an RN and I have to work!

John Kuthe...

I was lucky, I planned for today off anyway. I just could not safely get out because of ice and no salt. But tomorrow I HAVE to get out, I'm an RN and I have to work!
John Kuthe...
My mom is an RN and she's sleeping at the hospital tonight because travel isn't advised.

Rich V.

Thats Crazy ! I cant wait to see the Packers and Bears game tomorrow. How in the heck people sit out in that weather ?

Thanks for the info, guys.....and the entertainment! lol I'm dating myself, but, I remember back in 93 my friend and I were watching the Weather Channel and the meteorologist stated the coldest spot on the globe, to include the poles, was in a little town about 12 miles north of us, with a true temperature of -55 deg F. I looked at the thermometer and ours registered -45. I knew it was cold out, but didn't realize how cold. Well, we just HAD to check it out! Walked outside and thought, "oh this isn't bad at all!" Then, I took a breath.....and proceeded to cough my lungs out. Instant freeze! Said screw that, went inside, and made some hot chocolate. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.