Lightweight Deadening?

I have a Mustang and heavy deadening material isnt really an option for me. What can I use that wont weigh me down?
nothing that i know of. one aspect of sound deadening is adding mass to an object... which is why multiple layers work better than 1 layer. your not gonna make your car a second or half a second slower in the 1/4 just from deadening the trunk of a mustang...**** the trunk aint even that big.

edit: should of read this was int he speaker section...which means even less (usually) deadening material than in a trunk.

closed cell foam could be a decent comprimise between no deadening and heavy deadening since you'll at least get a little of the sound absorption qualities. also liquid deadening might be a little more lightweight than regular mats.

but yeah a big part of deadening is to add weight to thin sheet metal to reduce vibrations, but maybe if you reduce the acoustic energy the sheet metal receives [via overkill or ensolite] you can help in that regard without adding as much weight. shrug.

nothing that i know of. one aspect of sound deadening is adding mass to an object... which is why multiple layers work better than 1 layer. your not gonna make your car a second or half a second slower in the 1/4 just from deadening the trunk of a mustang...**** the trunk aint even that big.
edit: should of read this was int he speaker section...which means even less (usually) deadening material than in a trunk.
u'd be suprised how much weight it adds up to. I used about 2 1/2 rolls. Was about 60-75lbs of added weight, every little bit counts if u race.

If you're worried about the wieght, don't install a system. The equipment isn't exactly lightweight either, at least not the equipment worth having.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

By having a system your adding tons of weight in amplifiers, box, wiring, subwoofer, if your concerned about weight then dont even bother.

Well I can take the sub out for racing, everything else is going to replace the stock Mach 460 system so the weight should be about even there. Im not like a hardcore racer, this is my daily driver, but weight is still somewhat of a concern.

I might just do one layer of deadening material for the doors, and some clay around the speakers. Im not worried about road noise (it is a vert) I just want it to still be loud over my exhuast with the top down going 80mph.

Meh. I doubt 15 sq. ft. a door would add much weight. That ought to be adequate and might add 15-20 lbs. Get a good air filter and keep it clean, and you shoudn't even notice it if you're just a casual racer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.