if speakers dont fit exactly...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Civic96Lx
10+ year member

Formally 92OldsTrefeo
am i loosing bass, do they have to be pretty sealed like a subwoofer would be... cuz i have some 6.5's in my doors and they dont go into my factory screw locations so i had to drill it in and it is a little tilted and not up against the back of the door...

Yes, you will lose a bit of midbass response as well as overall clarity will be reduced.

My recommendation would be to fab up a 3/4" MDF spacer that should allow the basket to clear to stock speaker cutout.

...so something that will go over the speaker location and allow it to flush mount it.. what should i use to seal it up?? silicon??

You shouldnt have to seal it with anything except a little non-hardening model clay around the edges of the "baffle" Another way to increase the midbass is to cover you doors in a dampening material.

am i loosing bass, do they have to be pretty sealed like a subwoofer would be... cuz i have some 6.5's in my doors and they dont go into my factory screw locations so i had to drill it in and it is a little tilted and not up against the back of the door...
I put 6.5" drivers in my front doors where the factocy location only allowed for a 4" speaker to reside.

Consequently I had to make a spacer to both allow it to sit flat against the door panel as well as allow for the backside of the driver to clear my window workings.

When I still used the OEM-sized speakers in the factory location ~

Before:

InfinityDrivDoor.jpg

After I went with 6.5" components (though these are not the components currently installed)

After:

DATMidBare.jpg

Closed cell foam or a MDF baffle. If they are behind the door and not flush you might get reflections with the door panel. You may or may not notice a sound difference.

If your doors don't look like this

17700570839.jpg

or this (without acoustic fabric, ensolite in this case)

17700505681.jpg

You need to fill those holes, the MDF baffle is really helpful as well. Just bolting up speakers is a sure way to make them sound bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.